Hi, my name is jdeasley! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is jdeasley!

jdeasley
jdeasley Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I’m so sick with worry regarding the removal of SMI payments to be replaced with a loan.
i am a single parent to 3 children age 11-15 my eldest is severely disabled and my house has been converted to assist she does not walk or talk she has Pitt Hopkins syndrome.
i am already on a 50/50 mortgage which I have no endowment for so will owe £90000 at the end of the term which has 14 years left . The plan when we moved in was to do this for 5 years the switch to repayment . My husband walked out on us before this 5 years were up
i had worked full time until millie was in school paying into the system for almost 20 years then I had no choice but to become a full time Carer.
i now rely heavily on SMI to the tune of over £300 per month I pay almost £600 towards my mortgage and I’m at my wits end. Due to being a full time Carer I can no longer get a mortgage Any money that I would have left out of the house will be gone and my daughter who needs care 24/7 will have nothing if I’m not here to support her. I’m really at my wits end

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jdeasley, and welcome!

Thank you for sharing this with us: the SMI ending is likely to have a huge impact on many people, and I'm so sorry that it's another thing that you're having to deal with at the moment. You may like to have a look at this past discussion on SMI, and I'd also recommend using the online benefits calculator to check that you're claiming all that you're entitled to. It sounds like things are really difficult for you and I hope at the very least that you know you're not alone, and the online community will support you wherever possible. 
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @jdeasley,

I'm so sorry to see the situation you're in with the changes to SMI and I'm sorry I've come to your post so late. 

It's a worrying and uncertain time. I'm glad you've found our community. Please keep an eye on the other discussion about SMI where we're sharing information and trying to raise awareness of the problems associated with the changes and the longer-term implications. 

What stage are you at now? Have you had the letter and phone call from SERCO?

Hope to hear from you again.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • jdeasley
    jdeasley Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi there,
    its fair to say that I’m absolutely filled with anxiety it’s a horrible time for me I’ve received the letter but as yet have had no phone call I’m not looking forward to that at all.  
    I will keep my eye on the updates thank you for respinding
    kind regards
    jane 

Brightness