Blue Badge Battles — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue Badge Battles

CaderMac
CaderMac Community member Posts: 105 Pioneering
edited January 2018 in Transport and travel
Today I had an infuriating incident with a postman and a disabled parking bay. 

I was popping into a local shop when a postman pulled into the one and only disabled parking spot by the parade of shops. He jumped out and I said to him "Do you have a disabled parking badge Mr Postman', in a playful tone - not too confrontational!

He replied "Yes I do... it's called a Royal Mail van" 

I was so shocked by his rude response I did not know how to respond. I felt my cheeks get hot and walked back to my car. 

I know that this experience will not be rare and that many of you will have faced similar, probably worse, encounters. This incident has particularly got me thinking because of the implications of somebody representing an organisation (her Majesty's postal service no less) and still acting in such an intolerant and unaccommodating way. This one postman has got me thinking about the Royal Mail as a whole, and if this is a sign of bigger issue - surely not all posties than think that their van gives them the right to ignore social rules or values? 

I have since followed up this incident and made a complaint to Royal Mail, and I would like to think that in response Royal Mail would take the opportunity to remind their employees to be mindful of accessibility when they are working. I would love to hear from any of you who have experienced this sort of behaviour or attitude from an organisation or an employee? And if you followed up on the incident - did anything come of it? 

Comments

Brightness