Benefit entitlement — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefit entitlement

Options
lhunt32
lhunt32 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi just wondering if there are any benefits I can claim please? Im currently claiming pip but that's it ?I live with my husband who works full time and earns 15000 a year? We have no children?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi lhunt32, 

The best thing to do is put your income into a benefits calculator:

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/check

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options
    lhunt32,

As you're already getting PIP you could start off by thinking about other types of help which are sometimes available along with that, such as a blue badge if you or your husband drive. You should ask your local council about this, as the rules are different in different parts of the UK (England, Scotland etc).

Do use the benefits calculator to begin with. I'm wondering if you might be able to claim a benefit called contributory employment and support allowance, which could apply to you if you are not able to work. If you can't get this benefit (perhaps because you don't have enough national insurance contributions), then you could still consider claiming it so that you have national insurance credits - these will count towards your retirement pension later on.

I'd also check whether you can get housing benefit (if you pay rent), but be cautious as in some parts of the country this has been replaced by universal credit. You should seek advice before you claim universal credit to make sure it's right for you.

Finally, I'd check whether you can get help with council tax reduction. That will depend where you are in the country, but the calculator can help you with this if you put in your postcode.

Will

• dellaamy
    dellaamy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I  am on enhanced rate pip. my partner gets standard pip. we get esa they say because we have 2 lots of pip we only get a low rate esa. I get housing benefit
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options
    dellaamydellaamy

I don't think it would be the two lots of PIP which would cause you to get a low rate of ESA - that would make your ESA higher, not lower. If you have someone who gets carer's allowance for one of you, or both of you, that can affect the rate of ESA you get. It can also be affected if another adult lives with you (but not a lodger or a young person you get child benefit for).

You should get the enhanced disability premium as part of your income-related ESA, at the couple rate, because you are getting enhanced rate PIP. But you might not get the severe disability premium - this will depend on whether there's anyone else living with you, and whether anyone gets carer's allowance for you and/or your partner.

The other thing you might be able to get, if you haven't already, is extra help with the council tax (council tax support).

Will

• dellaamy
    dellaamy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Neither of us get carers allowance fo4 each other.
    I get esa with dependent my partner. He lost his benefit. We claimed together last october. 
    Thankyou for your time.
  • disable_mable
    disable_mable Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options
    Hi @dellaamy  
    If noone gets Carer's allowance for either of you, then you would be entitled to couple's Severe Disability Premium (SDP) of 124.90/week on top of the standard ESA.
    This is an income-related premium, so if you are on a contributions based claim for some reason (e.g. capital) then this wouldn't apply.
    I take it you have just moved in together and gone from two separate ESA claims to a couple claim?? If so, then yes, the amount you get as a couple is not simply double the single rate. But do call the DWP and check all the correct premiums etc have been added!
    Kind regards,
    Mary

• lhunt32
    lhunt32 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.