the change from SMI benefit to a loan? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

the change from SMI benefit to a loan?

2»

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @suepointing,

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post. 

There's so many unanswered questions like yours and not very much time to find the answers and make a decision. 

I'm glad you've found our community and I hope you find all the SMI discussions helpful. There's a great bunch of people here on this community and it's great to have you with us.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Courageous
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @Ella1976,

I'm not sure about the equity release part.
    I need to double check what the interest rate is. I think it might be 1.7% but that's an off the top of my head answer. I'll come back when I've verified it.

If you find any good information let us know.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Courageous
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • suepointing
    suepointing Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Why is it that none off the newspapers have pick up what happening we've  been
    force to borrow money or not eat neither have any of the party have said a thing about this and it must have been threw parliament in a way they are going to rebuild the housing stock with our homes and then give the money away with the right to buy I just don't understand how know one seem to care about this and it not been mentioned in any paper also if you rent your home your not effect by this but we have to pay for repair and not get any help at all except to build up a debt this is so  frightening I've lost a lot of sleep and I'm sure a lot of you have lost a lot too 
  • suepointing
    Just just a thought if your in the income related esa because of your mortgage interest payment if they no longer pay this will we still be eligible for help with council tax, and other bits that we get because of that as I'm always been asked what sort of esa are we on I'm worried we will not be on the income related at more as the mortgage interest was the only thing listed on it if we paid rent that would be on that 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    This whole situation is an yet another attempt to get people to sell their properties so they can get out of paying benefits. The lack of information is probably deliberate in order to frighten people into believing they must sell.

They do not EXPECT people to be able to deal with it. They do not WANT people to be able to cope. They WANT people to sell their properties so they can be paid less benefit.

The whole thing is disgusting from that point of view but then their is the opposing opinion by those that do not own a property as to why home owners get special treatment.

Divide and conquer I guess.

I think eventually people will be forced into selling their home in order to qualify for benefits. It is bound to be a difficult transition if that IS their intention.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • suepointing
    Why people that rent get there rent paid if we all sell it going to cost my if we all rent as they will have more to pay as rents is more than just interest on a mortgage 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @suepointing that is very true it will cost them more in the long term but governments only last 4 years so the future doesn't bother them. If you sell you have money to live on and that means no benefits until it runs out. A short term saving and, as I said, beyond 4 years is of no interest to them.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • suegb
    suegb Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    They're happy for us to rent privately cos there mates are the landlords. Any rent the State pays goes into their mates pockets.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.