Parents, carers and disabled parents
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

How do I apply for short breaks for my 5year old who is autistic without going through SENCO?

olivia2mboolivia2mbo Member Posts: 2 Listener
How do I apply for short breaks for my 5year old who is autistic without going through the school SENCO?


  • steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @olivia2mbo

    A very very big Welcome.

    I have found you some info from within our website.

    I hope that it is helpful ?????
  • ParentingAdvisorVikkiParentingAdvisorVikki Member Posts: 45 Connected
    Hi @olivia2mbo

    By short breaks do you mean respite, childcare or a small family holiday? 

    If it is respite then you could look at Autism Initiatives who provide respite and short breaks for families. 

    You could also look at claiming the Family Fund - this could fund some respite breaks or a short family holiday. Be aware that you can only receive this once.

    Do you mind me asking why you are looking at respite? There are other resources out there which offer an alternative to it, so just so I can advise properly. I may be able to find you some extra support or point you in the right direction!
  • olivia2mboolivia2mbo Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I want to apply for short breaks as a friend of mine told me that my son can be assessed & maybe I cauld get extra help at home. 

    My son is non verbal & hardly shows any understanding. He can not do anything for himself, still in nappies & only eats mashed food. he also suffers from eczema & ofcourse sleepless nights. 
    Any help I can get I try to access it as I’m a single mum also raising a 4yr old daughter but she is not autistic.

Sign in or join us to comment.