Severe disability premium — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium

krismaxwell123
krismaxwell123 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi I’d really love some help! I’ve been claiming esa IR as a joint claim with my wife since August 2013! In April 2014 I was awarded ER daily living PIP for my bipolar and anxiety! My wife then got carers for looking after me, however in sept 2016 my wife was awarded pip MR daily living for her own condition! Last week my wife done a benefits check on all the benefit check websites and done some research and apparently we’d be entitled to couples rate SDP but at the single rate as my wife gets carers for me but I do not for her. Is this extra premium something we are eligible to have added? If so is it not best for my wife to cancel carers as we’d qualify for couples SDP without losing the money off esa they take for her being my Carer? I’m really baffled and would love some help thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Courageous
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • krismaxwell123
    Thanks mike! So we’re best off having the single rate SDP and keeping the carers! With regards to our PIP my wife will definitely not lose hers as it’s for PTSD, depression, and anxiety! Really she should have the enhanced rate if I’m honest! Am I right I’m think the SDP should have been paid from when my wife was awarded her PIP?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks mike! So we’re best off having the single rate SDP and keeping the carers! With regards to our PIP my wife will definitely not lose hers as it’s for PTSD, depression, and anxiety! Really she should have the enhanced rate if I’m honest! Am I right I’m think the SDP should have been paid from when my wife was awarded her PIP?
    No one can say they definitely will not lose their PIP, as it's not given for life. Everyone will be review at some point.

In the meantime you would be better off canceling the CA claim and claiming couple rate for SDP. Don't think about the future, think about now and how much better off you'll be claiming couple rates SDP. If one of you loses your PIP award in the future, you can just re-claim Carers Allowance, no big deal. Why would you want to claim SDP single rate and CA when you're worse off doing it this way.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • krismaxwell123
    Sorry that came out wrong! We both had reviews just a couple month ago that’s all! Think I’ll be taking your advice and cancel carers then! Will wait to see if we get the single rate first though as I’ve heard DWP can be funny and that’s the last thing we need!
     Thanks for the input has made a complicated process that little bit more understandable, really appreciate the advice
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi krismaxwell

In some cases you can claim carers allowance for each other. It would be wise to get f2f advice from CAB or similar.
     As a couple, my wife gets PIP enhanced both, I get standard care enhanced mobility, both in SG. Last year put in a CoC for IR ESA. We now get SDP couples and Carers Premium x 2

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • krismaxwell123
    Forgive my ignorance but I thought you could only have one or the other? No wonder people don’t know what they’re entitled to lol
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Carers allowance consists of two parts, CA and CP. It is complicated and it took the CAB to sort it for us
    If you can both meet the care requirements, try the on line calculator again entering for both

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • krismaxwell123
    Thanks cockney rebel really appreciate your advice and time! I’ve got an appointment at welfare advice tomorrow so will chew their ear more! Makes me feel money oriented but why shouldn’t we get it if it’s available 
  • krismaxwell123
    So if you are receiving CB esa you can have SDP and C.A. but IR one or the other? Sorry I just still don’t get it if I’m honest
  • krismaxwell123
    Still confused! Wish I had your know how. 

Thanks guys ill I’ll relay this to welfare advisor see where that takes me! 

appreciate all your help thank you so much 
  • krismaxwell123
    Hi guys just been onto phone to esa! Managed to speak to a manager who had informed me that SDP was entitled at the start glen rate going back to 30/9/2016 and that it will be sorted within a week!
    Also advised that I have an underlying entitlement to carers that I didn’t know about and that I‘ll get a carers premium on top also which is backdated to October 30th 2017!
    Thanks so much for all your advice and help this is going to make such a difference thanks again everyone

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.