Leaving school — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Leaving school

Options
Doogiexx
Doogiexx Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited February 2018 in Work and employment
Hi. I am mum of 4 now adult children.  My youngest is now 19 and had Duchenne muscular dystrophy, he is a powerchair user, losing the ability to stand at 14.  he is now losing the use of his arms.  Life isnt easy.  But transition from college to I-have-no-idea-what is causing sleepless nights. he went to mainstream school, then to National Star at 16, but hes due to finish there this summer and his options seem so limited.  Very worried. :( 

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Doogiexx and welcome to the community. Very good to have you with us, though I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. I don't have the expertise to answer your specific questions, but I don't doubt others will come along with more information in due course. For the moment, it might be worth your while to look through the links in the purple band lower down the page. I'll put in a couple here for you to have a look at:
    https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/education-and-learning
    https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-a-question-about-educational-health-and-care-plans
    Hope this helps. Will be thinking of you.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard

• Doogiexx
    Options
    Thank you Richard, thats really kind of you.
    Best wishes 
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My pleasure, @Doogiexx. I just hope we can find the right help for you.
    Best to you,
    Richard
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hi @Doogiexx, and welcome!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and sorry to hear that you're feeling worried about your son. Was there anything in particular you had in mind for him once he does leave school, or are you keeping an open-mind at the moment? We have community advisors who may be able to help, so do let us know your thoughts so we can provide the best possible assistance!
  • Doogiexx
    Options
    Thanks Pippa, yes, I was hoping he would get a supported internship, but it seems there are none in our area (Herefordshire).  I don't think he would cope with full time (it takes so long in the morning to be ready and out the door) and am worried an apprenticeship would require too many hours, he also doesn't have great grades (E and D's).  I am looking at voluntary roles for him as I feel they would be more flexible.  I don't know how it works at work... he would need help with personal care throughout the day - does he have to take a PA with him, what does she/he do while hes working? They just need to be on call as and when he needs help.  I think he would get that in a supported internship, as part of the placement... 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hi again @Doogiexx, I've moved this post to our ask an employment advisor category- we have a great team who will hopefully be able to advise further on this and what options might work best for you and your son. Somebody will be in touch ASAP!
  • Zaid_Alumni
    Zaid_Alumni Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @Doogiexx , good to hear from you. This transition period can be very difficult to navigate through. We may be able to support your son through Scope's Support to Work programme - 12 weeks of tailored support, looking at CV's and letters, application forms, options, skills, and generally making sense of the employment market. Ideally your son would refer himself online at:

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/services/employment/support-to-work 

Or you could call: 0300 222 5742 for an informative chat about our service to see if it's suitable for you guys. We look forward to speaking with you.

Zaid
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

• Doogiexx
    Options
    Thank you Zaid.  College (National Star) are currently helping with all the above - but of course their support will end once he's finished college, so then he may well need your support.  Its really good to know that he can access the support to work program if he needs to.  That has set my mind at rest a little.  Thank you.

Brightness