PIP Appeal acknowledged - info on timescales in London? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Appeal acknowledged - info on timescales in London?

coffeetogo
coffeetogo Scope Member Posts: 2 Listener
Good afternoon all - I am hoping for a little general info on how long I should expect to wait for a Tribunal here in South London. I appealed my PIP decision on 15/9 & received an acknowledgement 22/9 from the Tribunal Service. Would I be correct in thinking I will be waiting at least 3-6 months before a hearing date? My mental health issues mean I am unable to use the telephone to call them to check but could I email them - or would that seem inappropriate?! I ask mainly because I would have to be accompanied to the hearing by my partner, who works full time - getting leave is tough and needs to be arranged weeks in advance so we’re stressing out .... 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Could your partner telephone the tribunal clerk for you ?
    you could certainly try an email

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @coffeetogo

On the Tribunal Service acknowledgement letter it should ask you to give dates unavailable for the next x months - which will give you an idea of how long you will have to wait for a Hearing.  However, the Tribunal Service only have to give you two weeks' notice of your actual Hearing date.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi coffeetogo,

I work in the West Midlands and here the waiting time is about 4-6 months from when the appeal is received and is rising all the time. If you phone or email the Tribunals Service they will tell you how many weeks they have had your appeal, and how many weeks the waiting time is. That'll give you a rough idea as to when you should expect a hearing date. Good luck!

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• coffeetogo
    coffeetogo Scope Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for the input - just got my DWP bundle yesterday so I at least know they oppose my appeal :-) The Health Professional report was “interesting” as you might expect! Think I will email the Tribunals Service to get a rough idea (just to feel a bit less powerless and hopefully give my partner a bit of a heads up) Thanks for taking the time to reply, everyone!
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    coffeetogocoffeetogo,

I work in London and I'd say the waiting times are as Lee describes but longer! If you get a hearing date which is not possible for you and your partner, you can ask for it to be postponed and explain why. Not ideal I realise.

It's a good idea to contact the Tribunals Service to get an idea of what waiting times are like at the moment. You don't have to telephone, although if you can get your partner to phone that could be helpful. The clerks are usually very supportive and will do their best, despite the pressure they are under, to tell you whatever you need to know.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Dixiedean
    Dixiedean Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Not sure of timescales in London for tribunal, but I am in CornwAll and been told waiting time is 34 weeks, I am at 17 weeks.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.