Appeal letter - what does it mean? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appeal letter - what does it mean?

2»

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Dotty

It's not how often you walk but how far and for how long when you do walk.  Time should always be related to distance.  The DWP say 20m = 30 seconds though it may take some people longer to walk 20m.

You don't have to go out much, or at all, to score points.  You just have not to be able to walk farther than the distances listed below before you have to stop and rest for a few minutes before you walk up to the same distance, and so on.  Of course, going out sometimes shows what your walking is like.  But your walking can be measured indoors.  

It's a good idea to submit a diary that shows what you do each day and what you struggle with.  List all the aids you use.  Disability Rights UK site has a draft diary as well as a good guide to all stages of PIP.  However, the diary must be for any 7 days from a few weeks before assessment up to assessment.  

Your disabilities have to fit the PIP descriptors, also listed on the DR site (as well as on other sites).  If you can't do any activities at all on some days then you should score points - because your disabilities on those days stop you from doing anything.  PIP is about how your conditions affect you, not the conditions themselves.

0m - 20m aided = 12 points (enhanced)

20m - 50m aided = 10 points (standard)

20m - 50m unaided = 8 points (standard)

MR response takes 4-6 weeks.
  • dottydotty
    dottydotty Community member Posts: 321 Pioneering
    Matilda   Thankyou so much for that information.  I told the assessor I can walk approx. 50 metrs  but then have to stop .rest and then continue for another 50 or so metres . My total  journey to shop is 180 metres  but assessor has recorded I can walk 36O Metres  so consequently scored nil points , Ignoring the fact I have hearing , balance , breathing and pain that prevent me from walking more than 50 metres at a time ,Also I can not do this every day ,as the next day I need to rest-up .
  • Matilda
    Dotty

The assessor lied so if you don't win your MR you have good grounds for appeal.
  • dottydotty
    Matilda   Have complained to Capita and I am waiting a reply ,,have informed the DWP that a complaint has been lodged with Capita..
  • Matilda
    Well done, Dotty.
  • dottydotty
    Matilda  Thankyou I don't hold out much hope with my complaint .but will take it further if I have to .I have absolutely nothing to lose .

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.