I'm looking for inspiration for wheelchair accessible and fun days out — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm looking for inspiration for wheelchair accessible and fun days out

Options
tinks577
tinks577 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone, 
 I am a carer to a young lady with rett syndrome. I work with her throughout the week but every alternate Saturday I have her from 9-4 and we go out shopping or visit garden centres. She is also gastro tube fed and most places are ok with this providing I ask first and I'm discreet. I'm looking for inspiration for wheelchair accessible and fun days out. Any help and suggestions would be great.
Thankyou in advance 
Tina

Comments

• shirleygreen
    shirleygreen Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Hi you sound like an amazing person and what a wonderful idea - a site where like minded people can recommend wheelchair / disabled friendly places to visit? 
  • tinks577
    Options
    Thankyou Shirley, I just want a bit more than just shopping and gardèn centres for her. Hoping for lots of ideas x
  • tinks577
    Options
    Has anyone got any suggestions for my initial enquiry? It's our Saturday out this weekend and so far it looks like we are off to the garden centre again!!
  • pinkbluefrog
    pinkbluefrog Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Hi Tina, 

It's always great to get a different perspective and new ideas! You could try a large art gallery or museum (depending on where you live), the big ones should be accessible and have things that will change periodically so it's something that you can come back to and it won't be exactly the same. Weather dependent obviously you could also try something outside and beautiful. You could have a look at some of the National Trust sites (which also often have significant parts that are indoors) 
    https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/visitors-with-disabilities
    There's a section on there where you can click depending on the different region with details of each place. You can also get in touch and ask more specific questions too. I realise that she will have to pay, but it looks like you would get in free as her assistant.

You could also try asking your local Tourist Information site. It can feel a little strange doing it when it's where you live and you're not a tourist there! But I will say that they often come up with events or places that I've never thought of even when I live there!

I tried tapping in 'things to do wheelchair access' into Google and it came up with different geographical area guides so you may find one for where you live.

Hope that helps and have fun!
    Best wishes,
    Anne
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • crazylegs84
    crazylegs84 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    hi tinks i am a carer for my daughter who has medical problems and she is paraylised have you thought about zoo you can get a pass which lasts a year and you can go evry day if wanted for free or there are other places

Brightness