Help advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help advice

coates30
coates30 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
I am a 61years old mother of a son in his 30s with autism. Two years ago he and I found out. The thing is it is hard to see he has no friends isolated even with his sibling. They don't go near him as he has big melt downs I get this nearly everyday. I try to block what he says but it does wear me down. How can I stop and get him so he doesn't have so many as I am trying to learn every day struggling with my age now lost my get up and go I have no energy 

Comments

• timoglock
    timoglock Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    Hi, so sorry you’re all having a hard time. I was just thinking how little Support there is for parents/Carers of older adult children on the spectrum who do meet enough need to have supported living.  However  try and find a local Autism parent group. Yes they might all have young children but you will be able to talk about it. Use your son’s hobby to help him if you can. 
  • coates30
    Thank you I do try to take interest as he goes to the gym head phones on as it keeps him in his own thoughts. It's just the talking about him self constantly with no thought for others. It's like he just doesn't care it hurts 
  • timoglock
    timoglock Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    Have been able to access autism awareness training  yourself. It might help to realise that it isn’t personal.  I do know where you are coming from. I wish my son would access the gym!
  • coates30
    I am going to look into it. I think that's what I have had to do teach my self to ignore what he says it's hard as it hurts I sometime have to lie were I go or who I am with I no it's wrong but it's like he hates it and will call who ever I am with. So I 
    Lie as I don't want to hear it. It hurts 

Brightness