From being put on pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

From being put on pip

piglets
piglets Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi Iam Diane . I have Bipolar disorder as well as Diabetes .Ashma Panick attacks  Anxiety .I would like to ask . I used to get mobility component when I was on D.L.A. but since being moved on to pip they STOPT it I cannot understand why because my health has not improved just the opposite now I have cataracts in both eyes .would appreciate if you can make any sense of it because I can't  understand why they have taken my mobility component of me that I have previously had on DLA for over twenty five years . Thank you Diane 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @piglets
    Welcome to the community, unfortunately the PIP assessment overrides your previous DLA decision.

When did you get the PIP decision? You can appeal the decision but it usually has to be within 30 days.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • piglets
    Hi I got my pip decision in November 2017  I never thought anything about my mobility hadn't been given me . which I was getting be it low rate . but always told to leave things as they are because whatever ever I could loose all my pip so due to my illness I never been out of my house without support .Thank you Diane 
  • piglets
    I have only just found out about my eye sight because I didn't attend my appointments at options even thoe I knew that my sight was deteriorating . with my Bipolar disorder and other health problems I don't go out of my house unless I have my support worker or cpn . so when I went for my pip interview my eye sight didn't come up .I did go to the hospital but wasn't given any support I panicked after being the three and a half hours so didn't get my results . I was so distressed nearly one week on Iam just calming down .so I can't understand why they didn't give me my mobility component with pip but had it when claiming DLA . I don't even know how I get my eye test results . I was not treated well at the Hospital and I panicked and run out . I feel ashamed that I did that but my Anxiety and being by myself I couldn't take anymore .Thank you Diane
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    pigletspiglets,

I would strongly urge you to ask for a mandatory reconsideration now. Explain why you were late & insist on getting a response. If they don't change the decision, you can appeal. 

PIP is a points-based benefit and it's worked out differently to DLA. Unfortunately, especially with mobility, this can end up with people getting less money, and sometimes those decisions are correct. However, I think your decision is wrong & you should get the mobility component. It will all depend on the facts, and if your condition hasn't changed, the evidence used to make your DLA decision would still be relevant.

I would have a look at the points system and see whether you think you should get the mobility component. Apply for a mandatory reconsideration as soon as you can, explaining what points you should have got. Ask for a copy of the assessor's report too, but don't delay - I'd ask for the mandatory reconsideration now, without waiting to get the report.

From what you say, you should definitely get the mobility component as you can't leave the house alone. It's also the case that the government are trawling through PIP decisions to find people who didn't get the mobility component when they should have done, due to psychological distress they experience in planning and following journeys. However, I wouldn't wait for this exercise to be carried out as we don't know how long it will take.

Ask for a mandatory reconsideration as soon as you can. The letter you got about your PIP decision should explain how to do this. As Mike says, you are within the 13 month time limit so insist on your right to a mandatory reconsideration notice, & appeal if you need to. If you need help with all of this, the Scope helpline can direct you to local sources of support. 

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• piglets
    Thank you you have been so helpful I will definitely get help from my cpn I will show her the advice that you have so kindly given me . will let you know how things go . Diane 
  • piglets
    Iam sorry to trouble you again. But if I challenge them over them taking my mobility component . will I have to go through the ordeal of going to another interview because I don't know if I can I thought I had been able to have my cpn but she doesn't know a great deal . I receive for daily living part of pip which is 14 points and nothing for my mobility as it says I can walk unaided but I did get it when on DLA because I can't go anywhere without support and for over 25 years my home is also my prison .I have gone through discrimination because of my mental health and that's why I haven't stood up to things that I know I could get but haven't had the strength or the knowledge to help myself .would I  be able to get  any help and Iam praying that I don't have to go through an interview . Thank you if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have found another voice that helps people like me .Diane .
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @piglets

Don't feel like you're troubling us!! It's good to be able to reach people who may not otherwise get the advice! We like hearing from you!

The way the Mandatory Reconsideration works, is that it will be a letter (with evidence if you have it, or without evidence if you don't have any) asking the DWP to reconsider their decision - it doesn't need a new medical, as you're asking them to look at the medical they already did.

Following this, if the DWP don't change their decision (and they often don't) you would need to send another form off, this time an SSCS1 appeal form (with a copy of the Mandatory Reconsideration decision) and this time to the Tribunals Service. This is the appeal request.

On the form, it asks you to decide whether you want to go in person to a hearing or have the case decided on the papers... and this is where I want to level with you, as I know the inclination to tick the 'paper hearing box' will be very high... so here goes - your case looks good, but even quite good cases often lose out on paper hearings because the Tribunal don't get the chance to meet the person and see for themselves how they struggle. I won't tell you that Tribunals are always pleasant to attend, or that the Tribunal won't want to ask you lots of questions - they will - but they're not out to get you - they allow more appeals than they refuse.

So PLEASE when it comes to it, ask for an oral hearing!

I'll get off my soapbox now - the decision is of course your own.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• piglets
    Thank you Mary for explaining everything so clearly I really appreciate it . I have certainly got a lot to think about and the best way how I can get the courage to get out of my front door to Attend an interview . I will be able to add another health problem I was told that my lungs are failing and maybe have to go on Dialysis won't know till second blood test next Tuesday or if I can say hopefully need to go on insulin Iam type 2 diabetic at the moment . And when I walked out of my eye screening because got so stressed the Dr won't give me the results . So I have had quite a week .Thank you again for your help Diane .

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.