PIP assessment wheelchair issue — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment wheelchair issue

Options
Debbieq1966
Debbieq1966 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My partner r has diabetes and various neuropathies He has been told by a neurologist and a neurophysiologist that the nerve damage is severe and has affected  almost all of his body. He had a pip assessment in January.. His balance was bad that day so I took himhin his wheelchair which I bought for him from an online mobility shop. At no stage during the assessment did he get out of his wheelchair. The assessor asked him to move his hips. He did with great difficulty She also felt his calf muscles. From this she's assumed he an easily walk 50 metres. This is a massive assumption. All the information entered on his form was disregarded by the 'expert" at the dwp. They didn't contact any of the doctors he named on his form who could easily confirm his conditio. In the report it was pointed out that he had bought his wheelchair online. I don't see the relevance. If he needs 
A wheelchair he can surely buy one can't he? Has anyone else had this happen to them? 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Debbieq1966

It’s great to meet you this evening!!!!!

Yes you will find that you aren’t on your own with this.

We have got lots of info on “esa”

There is also lots of members who you can “meet & greet”

Please please let me know if I can point you in the right direction?????
  • Debbieq1966
    Options
    Hi Steve

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can the dwp use it against you if you'e bought your own wheelchair?
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Debbieq1966

That’s great it’s my pleasure!!

I can definitely say “NO”
    about using the wheelchair so please please don’t “worry”

The “falsifying” off our info seems to be the new “norm” nowadays!!!!!!

Yes They tried that one on me when I turned in my mobility scooter!!!!!!

I told them where to go in my tackle way “as ever”

Here’s some info on “benefits”

Please please have a good look though it & please let me know if you get stuck???

Thanks.
  • Debbieq1966
    Options
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Debbieq1966 and welcome to the community. Glad to have your here, and glad to see you've met Steve :)
    Since your post is primarily about PIP and their ongoing endeavour to make life as difficult for their fellow human beings as possible, Admin will probably move this to a more relevant PIP forum, probably early next week.
    As @steve51 said, you will find plenty of fellow sufferers here.
    In the mean time, you could try the links grouped under 'Employment, finances and disability benefits', including Talk about PIP/DLA and there's a link here: https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/33548/how-to-appeal-a-pip-decision#latest which may help you.
    I've given some thought to your 'wheelchair' comment and no, the fact that you've bought it will make no difference. It is possible, being the kind of people that they are, that they have heard of it and thought "Ah, bought it, wasn't prescribed it, so probably faking it" or something of the kind. Nasty minds think nasty things.
    Don't hesitate to be in touch if any of us may be of help to you, and please keep in touch,
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hi @Debbieq1966, and welcome!

It's an interesting question- it may have been pointed out just to acknowledge that your partner hadn't previously had an NHS wheelchair assessment and that it might be necessary to obtain more medical evidence (but that's just my own speculation). From what you've said it sounds like he's very reliant on the wheelchair and so I should hope this is taken into consideration when your decision is made. Do let us know how you get on and if we can be of any assistance! 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.