Rare condition and benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rare condition and benefits

Options
ViralRabbit
ViralRabbit Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have chronic thoracic pain caused by a very rare condition. Work is becoming a struggle but I can't afford to pay the mortgage and retrain in a new career. I don't think I'll get benefits because my disabilities aren't visible and if I leave work due to the chronic pain I'll probably not get any benefits even though I should be entitled to some help.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hi ViralRabbit and welcome

Many people have hidden conditions
    Try the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • ViralRabbit
    ViralRabbit Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for this CockneyRebel. This is like the one a friend sent me last year. 

I passed for standard rate Daily living but not mobility because their questions don't ask enough to reveal my struggles. Walking is one thing but it doesn't ask about carrying weight. I have a medical condition that prevents me from being able to drive and chronic pain related to spinal problems that means carrying stuff is even more painful but to live I have to shop frequently and carry it home because I can't drive for medical reasons. The questions don't ask about these probably deliberately.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.