Tinnitus — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tinnitus

shazzy44
shazzy44 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited February 2018 in Sensory impairments
Hi, I am wondering if there is anything I can do to reduce the constant tinnitus I suffer, it can be so loud I can’t here when people speak to me

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    I was given a pair of white noise generators by my hearing therapist.
  • shazzy44
    shazzy44 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Thank you, @Nystagmite. I will certainly be looking into things to help 
  • VickiKirwin
    VickiKirwin Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    edited February 2018

Hi @shazzy44

Yes, the good news is that there is lots that can be done to help reduce the impact of your tinnitus and help you manage it better. As a first step you might like to contact the British Tinnitus Association by ringing their free Helpline 0800 018 0527 or emailing helpline@tinnitus.org.uk. Have a look at their website https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/ for lots of written information and links to support groups where you can meet other people who have tinnitus, share tips on managing tinnitus and support one another. Also ask your GP to refer you to an audiology clinic to get an assessment of your hearing and tinnitus. They can provide white noise generators or other solutions and can refer you to a Hearing Therapist for further advice if needed. 

All the best

Vicki

• sidsue
    sidsue Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    unfortunately the white noise generators I had, were on so high to cover my Tinnitus,, my hubby could hear it and it kept him awake. My Tinnitus is different in each ear, or above the ear, or is it in the head ?.. I hear different noises, high, low and whistling.. also it mimics i.e.. if the door bell goes I hear it again and its not the bell its my tinnitus.. .weired

Brightness