What can I claim if I lose my job? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What can I claim if I lose my job?

Options
kel40
kel40 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited February 2018 in Work and employment
Hi I have epilepsy along with depression, back problems, I’ve recently been told I may have some short term memory issues too due to the amount of  times I’ve hit my head and as I result I may lose my current job as still in my probation period, I claim PIP but if I am unemployed can I claim anything else I am worried as this is the second job that has not kept me on at work because they say I am not learning the job quickly enough? 

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @kel40

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. The money advice service has some information that might help, and we also have a benefits calculator on our site.

Has your job made any adjustments to help you in your role?
  • Ian2005
    Ian2005 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Seems like they are putting pressure on you  and not helping you your employers  universal credit is a load of benifits in one now including Esa  which you should be entitled to wish you well 
  • kel40
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, the current employer has given a couple of weeks extra out of the 4 weeks training I was given but apart from that no, the job again before said I was not learning the role quick enough and was put on a action plan and was about to be let rid of as again still in probation, it just seems the minute they know I have epilepsy and my current issues they have already decided that they will not be keeping me on and I cannot do anything about it as I am always in my probation period and yes it stresses me out which to weeks resulted in another seizure, I’ve  got two weeks another tests and I will know whether I will be kept on, never been in this situation ever in my life and I want to work.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @kel40, so sorry to hear about your situation. I've moved this post into our ask an employment advisor category in case they can offer guidance on the employment side of this issue. 
  • Rian_Alumni
    Rian_Alumni Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Options
    Hi @kel40
    I am Rian from Scope Support to Work I am sorry to hear about your situation, I can tell you that you will still be entitled to PIP if you do lose your Job and if you don't pass your probation you will be entitled to a unemployed benefit; depending on your postcode will depend whether it is Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit. 

I can also say if you are worried about the prospect of losing your job you can contact us on the Support to Work team and we may be able to help you prepare for your next job as we support with CV's and interview skills along with giving information on how to disclose your disability and giving you the information of requesting any new adjustments to help you when you start a new role. 

I would like you to speak with your current employer and let them know about your new diagnosis so they can put provisions in place to support you in moving forward in your current role.

Kind Regards

Rian 
    Rian
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork
  • kel40
    Options
    I really want to keep the job I’ve got but I am on week 5 and I’ve spent all week in hospital due to a seizure and damaging my back just still worried I won’t pass my probation and the organisations do not have an obligation to help in my 3 month probation but so far they do seem to be helping me out I was just worried about being in a situation whereby I am unemployed as this has never happened to me before I am alone and have a mortgage and bills to pay, but so far they do seem like they want to help me even though I have not been there long. 

Brightness