help needed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

help needed

lebabes219
lebabes219 Community member Posts: 28 Listener
edited February 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
hi all am after some more advise after speaking to my local council office today.
My situation
I cant work due to my health, my 19 year old pregnant daughter lives with me and works full time
i am currently receiving income related ESA in the support group, i have just been awarded the enhanced rate mobility on PIP.
i am also receiving housing benefit of £10.80 a week towards rent which is £98 weekly. 
I went to the job center yesterday who told me that i need to claim universal credit as i have a change of circumstances but after speaking to the local council today was told that as i already claim housing benefit i dont need to do this and that my housing benefit will change accordingly. Am very confused. do i need to claim universal credit or leave things as they are. also im not sure if i would be financially better off claiming housing benefit or universal credit. Stress levels threw the roof at the moment..
any help would be appreciated

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi lebabes219
    Try putting your details into the online benefits calculator it should help to answer your query.If not contact your local CAB they have advisors who can work this out for you.x
          Debsidoo.
  • lebabes219
    lebabes219 Community member Posts: 28 Listener
    i have tried the online calculator but it only gives the results for universal credit and not housing benefit

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lebabes219, you may like to have a read of Scope's guidance on housing benefit and as @debsidoo says, it may be a good idea to seek advice from Citizens Advice who'll be able to offer guidance with your own individual situation. Best of luck and do keep us updated!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    hi all am after some more advise after speaking to my local council office today.
    My situation
    I cant work due to my health, my 19 year old pregnant daughter lives with me and works full time
    i am currently receiving income related ESA in the support group, i have just been awarded the enhanced rate mobility on PIP.
    i am also receiving housing benefit of £10.80 a week towards rent which is £98 weekly. 
    I went to the job center yesterday who told me that i need to claim universal credit as i have a change of circumstances but after speaking to the local council today was told that as i already claim housing benefit i dont need to do this and that my housing benefit will change accordingly. Am very confused. do i need to claim universal credit or leave things as they are. also im not sure if i would be financially better off claiming housing benefit or universal credit. Stress levels threw the roof at the moment..
    any help would be appreciated
    What change of circumstances do you have? Why are they asking you to change to Universal credit? Why are you only recieving £10.80 per week housing benefit? Is it because your daughter works and lives with you? Have you told them you claim PIP?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.