I was diagnosed with RA three years ago and now taking Humira — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I was diagnosed with RA three years ago and now taking Humira

Options
Sue52
Sue52 Community member Posts: 78 Courageous
Hello all, My name is Susanne and I live in Hertfordshire. 
I was diagnosed with RA three years ago. I tried various treatments from the consultant. 
He then applied for funding for the miracle drug that is called Humira. It has made a massive difference to my life. If your medication isn't working, maybe you could see if your consultant could apply for the funding.  Obviously it may not work for everyone but it is worth a try :)

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sue52, and welcome to the community! Thanks for sharing this with us- I'm so glad that you've found something that works for you! :)
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sue52
    Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing, I was offered Humira for my Ulcerative Colitis, I didnt know it was used for other illnesses too! You learn something new every day! 

There is a review of Humira on the RA support website.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • pinkbluefrog
    pinkbluefrog Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Hi Sue, 

I also have RA, had it for nearly 30 years (can't quite believe that, when I write that I feel surprised!). I'm so pleased that Humira has worked for you. I've been through a whole heap of different meds and like you have had great results from Humira and am still taking it in combination with other meds.

It's one of a family of TNF-inhibiting drugs. Humira is the trade name and its a drug called adalimumab, that increasingly, seems to be used to treat more and more things! I'd really echo what you said about if your meds aren't working to go and talk to your consultant about it. It makes such a difference to be on the right meds and each person is different but there are a lot of different meds out there. The Arthritis Research website has a very good breakdown of all the different meds https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs.aspx , their explanations about each one are very thorough and clear.

It can be scary and difficult time when you have recently been diagnosed or having a big flare up, but the right support and meds makes all the difference. It's tough though if you are feeling terrible, the tiredness is such a huge part of it and something that sometimes gets over looked. Having the right meds or combination of them makes such a difference, it has transformed my life!

Best wishes all, 
    Anne

Brightness