PIP stopped and then reinstated, do I need to reapply for carers allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP stopped and then reinstated, do I need to reapply for carers allowance?

Options
Ronaldo
Ronaldo Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA

I'm a little confused here, hope someone can help. My wife has been on PIP for a number of years, and I also claimed for carers allowance. After a reassessment, my wife had her  PIP stopped in December 2017 resulting in my carers allowance also being stopped. We both sent back letters asking for the decision to be reconsidered, and surprisingly with no letters or any other kind of notification, she noticed that her PIP had been paid back into her bank this month (Feb) . She phoned to enquire and was informed her PIP was reinstated but at a much reduced rate. As yet I haven't had my carers allowance reinstated, so do I have to re-apply for CA or should I wait and expect it to start again automatically ?

Regards

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I suggest you ask about the CA in Ask a benefits advisor category on this site.  Are you going to appeal the decision to reduce your wife's PIP?  Have you asked the DWP for a copy of the assessment report?
  • kevin888
    kevin888 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    Options
    If you are being paid Daily Living at any rate you are entitled to CA It may not start automatically  You may have to start a new claim on line from the date the PIP stopped in Dec, with no gap in the dates so the payment should be without a break and then back paid hopefully :)
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Ronaldo, I've moved this post into our ask a benefits advisor category where they will be better placed to advise you with this. Hopefully somebody will be in touch soon, but do let us know if there are any updates in the meantime!
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi again @Ronaldo, I'm just linking your latest discussion so that all the information is in one place when the benefit advisors get to your question: 
    "After a difficult few months I am now having to re-apply to get carers allowance again after my wife's PIP was stopped and has now been reinstated. I was made redundant 12 years ago so I took out an early works pension which is paid to me monthly. I do not have a state pension. The online claim form is now asking if I have any 'other income', but the last claim I made never asked me about this, only if I was in employment or not. Can you please tell me if my works pension is classed as an income by the DWP, and if it will effect my carers allowance claim ?
    Thanks in advance
    Regards"

Read more at https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/40504/is-my-works-pension-classed-as-income-in-a-carers-allowance-claim#FXESIgW5LYz7tQkl.99

• Ronaldo
    Options

Thank you all for your helpful replies, and thank you PippaScope for putting my posts in the correct place. It is my first time on this site, and I am still finding my way around.

Matilda,  as much as I would like my wife to appeal against the reduced PIP rate, she has mental health problems and has been put through so much stress with the unsympathetic attitude at the reassessment meetings, and then the final blow of  stopping her PIP (which she viewed as a lifeline), she now just wants accept the reinstated but reduced PIP, and be free from any further stress. (which has me wondering if that was the plan and what the DWP were hoping for  all along with all who were kicked off !!)

Kevin888,  I phoned the DWP, and as you say they said I had to reapply online, back dating my claim from when it was stopped. 

Many thanks for caring.

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Ronaldo, 

You do need to reapply for Carer's Allowance and if you ask it will be backdated to when your wife's PIP restarted as long as you apply for CA within 3 months of the date of the DWP's decision to reinstate her PIP.

Lee

The Benefits Training Co:

• Ronaldo
    Options

Hi Lee.

Thank you for your reply. Will re apply this weekend.

Best regards

Ronaldo

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.