When to apply for ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When to apply for ESA?

Options
lyndylou63
lyndylou63 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
Hi everyone. This is my first time on here.

Comments

• lyndylou63
    Options
    I have been on long term sick since August . My ssp is due to end in April. I cannot go back to work as I have polymyositis which has deteriorated . I cannot go anywhere on my own as I have to use a wheelchair. When do I start an esa claim? Do I wait until my employer stops paying ssp ? Or do I wait until he dismisses me? If I quit my job through illness will I still be eligible for esa. I do receive pip .
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lyndylou, and welcome to the community! I hope we can help you.

This information is from the Citizens Advice page on ESA:

You may be able to get contribution-based ESA if:
    • you’re not getting Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) from an employer (but you can apply up to 3 months before your SSP ends - if you get ESA, it will be paid as soon as your SSP ends)
    So according to this, you should be able to begin an ESA claim now, in order to apply for payments to begin after your SSP ends. There's also some more information about the ESA process on Citizens Advice. Hope this helps and let us know if we can be of further assistance!
  • lyndylou63
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure when the exact date my ssp ends yet

if I am receiving pip can I get a reduction in council tax or save on energy.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi again @lyndylou63, you may like to have a look through this list of extra help and money PIP entitles you to- there are lots of additional things you might be interested in pursuing!
  • michh40
    michh40 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi, i have endometriosis and fibromalagia and would like to know if i am entitled to any benefits? I used to work full time but i can only manage part time with difficulty sometimes. I tried claiming pip but was refused for ridiculous reasons! 

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hi michh and welcome

try putting your details into one of the on line benefit calculators

Many people are refused PIP. Did you appeal the decision ?

have a look at the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • michh40
    michh40 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I never appealed for pip because the questions asked has nothing to do with my chronic illnesses i have. They expect people to be practically  bedridden or partially paralysed in a wheelchair to give you pip. I need support really as i work part time but i am struggling still to do full time. They dont seem to understand the actual problems people have and look at you like your lying. They tell you to crouch down and if you can do that its a no straight away. Of course i can crouch with my disability's but it doesnt mean i dont have a disibility.its so annoying and quite prejudiced for those who do have a disability as do people with mental health issues. Then can still crouch and bend down!? 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    when did  you receive your decision letter ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.