Working from home — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Working from home

Options
gelder33
gelder33 Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
if you read my introduction my position is laying on my side most of the day.
but with all the experience I have as a company manager and all the tech available, I feel I can use my experience to work from Home even in this position.  Obviously I cannot do physical work, but I can use most tech needed to work on.
my main question is I need ideas as what I can do and how to find the people to contact etc, I just feel stuck as how to get going.
Any advice or help will be very much appreciated.
thanks
Tony

Comments

• emmrald
    emmrald Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Hi gelder33 emerald hear I was reading well if you worked as you did be for you say that you were a company manager you could do techie and sounds like you need a pa so they can get the physical things I wish you luck 
  • gelder33
    Options
    Thank you
    i left school with no qualifications at all, so I started at the very bottom.
    i worked up from labourer at 16 in the foundry and just got on with my job, eventually I became a company manager with many ideas and skills, then became a company manager with another company who was in the construction piling and tunnelling, this was very very hard work but I loved it, I miss it all so much.
  • shirleygreen
    shirleygreen Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    I think losing my job as a result of becoming disabled is one of the hardest things I have to endure so I totally understand how you feel. Go for It! And good luck. 
  • gelder33
    Options
    Thankyou very much, I can emperthise with you on that one.
    good luck to you as well.
    I WILL NOT GIVE IN TO THIS SITUATION AT 56!
    There must be something I can do for others or start some business of my own.
    i ran a business as well as working for others in the past.
  • Rian_Alumni
    Rian_Alumni Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Options
    Good Afternoon @gelder33

I am Rian from Scope support to work and I have read your story and i must say well done on not giving up.

I have some information that you may find useul as I have a few customer that have applied and started work with the following company www.lionbridge.com they are an American based company who are looking for people to work from home on a self employed basis.

I think this may suit you as you will be given projects to complete for this company and will be paid as a Self employed person, there are no start up costs, which you may have seen with most home based jobs.

I would suggest you look at the Scope website for some information becoming Self-Employed. Here is a link for you to be able to look it up www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/work/self-employment

I hope you find this information useful

Kind Regards Rian
    Rian
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork
  • gelder33
    Options
    Hi rian
    thankyou very much for your advice.
    i will look into this and let you know how I get on either way
    regards
    tony
  • gelder33
    Options
    Put first app in thankyou
  • Rian_Alumni
    Options
    @gelder33

I hope you are doing well and have you heard anything from the company you applied to last week
    Rian
    Scope Employment Advisor
  • gelder33
    Options
    Sorry not been online for a while, I put forward some info for a position but as I looked further it wasn’t for me, but I will keep looking thankyou.

• Rian_Alumni
    Options
    No problem thank you for keeping me updated
    Rian
    Scope Employment Advisor
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @gelder33, how are you doing?
  • gelder33
    Options
    Not too good at the moment, I got very depressed and stayed in my bedroom with a feeling of nothingness, I have been here before a few times, it just seems that everything is so hard to do due to my pain levels and limitations etc, this is with all the top end painkillers I am on.
    i am under doctor and have had sych help in the past, but nothing changes or helps really.
    sorry about the negative message
    hope you are well?
    t

Brightness