Interview for changes even though award is till 2019, can they stop money? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Interview for changes even though award is till 2019, can they stop money?

Options
cice
cice Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Quick question my son has been awarded pip till 2019 but has recently been asked to fill out a form if there has been any changes it was sent back with no changes and since has been asked to attend an interview. Can they stop his money?

Comments

• Bill
    Bill Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @cioe,

Welcome to the online community! I hope that one of the advisors can help you here - it does seem odd that your son has been asked to attend an interview, despite sending back 'no change'.
    Bill

• Fight4Justice
    Fight4Justice Community member Posts: 63 Pioneering
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @cice

Yes they can, they're trying to do this to me. If you ring up the PIP Helpline and ask them about this. They will use some kind of excuse, such as they want to make sure your son's PIP award transitions smoothly into the future after it ends in 2019, as they have a big backlog of claims, so they don't want your son to be left with no money. It's ALL LIES! They can recommend to the DWP Decision Maker, to stop your son's award if the assessor recommends it to be stopped, in their "Justification for descriptor choices" at the end of the assessor's report. You need to request a copy of this report from the DWP, after your son's reassessment takes place, as they won't send it to you automatically. I had my reassessment on a Monday, they had received the assessor's report from the assessor, by Thursday, this is when I requested a copy, and I received it on the Saturday. It was full of lies and blatant omissions, my reassessment was even recorded, following their own rules and regulations, so it just goes to show, even when they're being recorded, they don't seem bothered about lying.

My strong recommendation to you, is be prepared, make sure you have "good" examples for all the descriptor's you're claiming for, be prepared to answer a variety of follow-up questions afterwards too. Also don't let them rush you into giving quick answers, take your time. Bring notes with you if it helps, make sure you cover everything. Don't sugar coat anything either, make sure what you say, is what it's like for your son on a "bad" day. Bring photocopies of any medical records related to your son's condition to the reassessment, then hand it to the assessor directly. If they try and say they don't need it. Insist that this is relevant to your son's condition and you want it acknowledged that they're receiving these records from you, and that it will be taken into consideration. It states you're allowed to give them medical records in their own PIP Assessment booklet, and they're obliged to take it. The reason they try to avoid taking it. Is so they don't have to include it in their assessor's report. Pretty much airbrushing your son's medical history out of existence. This is why I still favour having assessments recorded, as you can state on audio, that you're handing over these medical reports, and you can ask the assessor, on tape, to confirm they have received it.

I hope you have a better experience than I recently had. As my assessor has pulled all the stops, to try and airbrush my diagnosed autism out of existence, by omitting to include that I have autism in my assessor's report. Thankfully, it's on recording that I handed this to her at the reassessment, so I was shocked that she'd try to get away with it, perhaps even if they acknowledge that this happened, they can claim it was some kind of clerical error. But "clerical errors" like omitting a report, that is the basis of my entire PIP claim, is gross incompetence of the highest order. Fortunately, my MP has been in contact with the PIP department, highlighting the omission of my Diagnostic Assessment Report, from the assessor's report, and I'm hoping the Case Manager, of my case, will now take it into consideration. Even if things do turn out well for me, they've put me through a severe amount of stress and anxiety having to go through all of this, for nothing. So yeah... Be prepared and go to the assessment under the assumption, that the assessor is going to do everything in their power, to stop your son's PIP award.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP reviews are done 1 year before the award is due to end. If the decision goes in your favour you'll recieve a new award notice. If the decision doesn't go in your favour your payments will stop 4 weeks after the decision, regardless of the award end date.

You'll need to send evidence to support this claim, the same as the first time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cice, and welcome to the community!

As has been said, the PIP review form is common practice and usually takes place a year before your award is set to end. However, as the others have said, it's a good idea to be as prepared as possible for your upcoming interview, and I hope you find their tips helpful. Do keep us updated, and all the best for the interview!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.