Come away upset and disapointed with the Hearing therapist — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Come away upset and disapointed with the Hearing therapist

Options
bevt2017
bevt2017 Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
Hi 
firstly I want to say a big "thank you" to scope and the community, for all your help and advice.

Well all my hopes were on this appointment with the hearing therapist, and I've come away feeling upset, angry, and frustrated.
Maybe my expectations were to high?
I got up this morning at 6am, waiting for the hospital transport to pick me up. "by the way they were fantastic".
went in to see the hearing therapist about 9.30, came out about 9.45.
The first thing that upset me, is that they were not prepared for someone like me, who cant sign or lip read. No I'm not picky, at a different hospital I attended last year, they spoke to me directly from a computer screen, and completely ignored my husband (which I loved).
Anyway she wrote down, how could she could help me?
I told her I needed help coping with my deafness, tinnitus, and depression for both me and my family.
All she did was print out information on lip reading, and told my husband there was nothing more she could do for me.
she showed us out, and wished me luck? 
why are they even called therapists? when they don't even help you.
My husband and daughter already have support from the carers society, it was for me.
I give up now, I just have to find my own way of dealing with it all. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @bevt2017

I am so sorry to read that you have been left feeling this way.

Your expectations were not high at all, you wanted what any other person would need, advice and support.

I am moderately-severely deaf, it took my audiologist 8/9 months to confirm I was deaf - the wait had a massive impact on my depression, finally got an appointment to have hearing aids fitted but unfortunately they didn't work for me. I completely gav e up hope too.

My mum came across that the council have a sensory support team, they have been amazing! They offer support, aids/gadgets to try and find which ones benefit you, apologies if you have already contacted them.

I know it's easier said then done but try not to give up hope, we are all here for you :)

If you would like to chat more, I am on here daily :) even if you just want to vent your feelings, or just a friendly chat, anything, I am here :)

Ami xxx
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • bevt2017
    Options
    Hi @Ami2301 :)

thanks for the advice!

Yes! I've already gone down that route.
    I do have one piece of equipment from the deaf society, which is a door bell, that flashes blue lights.  (since 2016)
    They cant help me with my tinnitus as I'm profoundly deaf.
    I could ask my doctor for counselling again, but last time all they wanted to do was lock me up. (3 suicide attempts) so I'm a bit reluctant.
    I've had help from the council with equipment for the house, due to neurological problems I have. But recently had a letter, saying there's nothing more they can do for me.
    I have been told to speak to citizens advice about the sign language courses, but they are costly.
    I thought I could just go and see one person for help, but instead I have to look at different organisations.
    I've just got to much on at the min, with my P.I.P Assessments, So everything will have to be put on hold till then.

I'm happy you found the support you needed.
    yes me too! nothing like a good moan and cry :D
    Bev :)
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    You can get (I have a pair) of hearing aids with pink / white noise to reduce tinnitus. Would they help? I only have mild deafness in one ear.

Mine wasn't overly helpful. I didn't get the impress she really knew how to deal with someone who is also sight impaired too.
  • bevt2017
    Options
    Hi @Nystagmite

Thanks for the advice! :)

Unfortunately No! I have severe sensory neural hearing loss (I'm profoundly deaf).
    with ataxia.
    The pink/white noise, only works for people who can still hear.
    I also have problems with my eyes with the ataxia, blared vision, dizziness and now Blepharitis (infection in the eyelids).
    I cant have the operation for a cochlear implant to reduce the tinnitus, because I have "sweets syndrome" and non specific vascilitus. plus it might not even work? and my tinnitus could intensify? (which I just couldn't cope with).
    Even though my infections have always been to my legs hands and fingers, I could potentially get an infection were they do the implant.
    Its crazy 2 years ago I was a healthy women, working with 3 children, and just because my immune system attacked my body I'm like this.
    your right they don't have the time! a few doctors don't even acknowledge I'm even there, and just speak to my husband instead. (I feel like screaming I'm deaf not stupid).

Awww thank you for giving your time to talk to me.
    I hope your doing ok too? :)
    Bev 

Brightness