Waiting for decision after f2f assessment for ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Waiting for decision after f2f assessment for ESA

Broken
Broken Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
I understand there is no time scale for a decision to be made once a f2f assessment has taken place. However, presumably the DM will be sending a written outcome? At what point is it recommended to ask for the written details of how the decision has been determined? If there is only one month in which to do a MR, and this would be from the date of the decision being made, it is possible that this would be less than a month due to post arriving late? How do I get the above mentioned information? My f2f was 12 days ago. 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Broken, is it a copy of the assessment report you're looking for?

If so, you need to request one of these yourself, which can be done after you've had your face to face assessment and indeed at any stage of the process- you may find this past discussion on this topic helpful. Here is how to contact the DWP. As you say, it may be a good idea to be prepared for the possibility of an MR, and having a copy of the assessment report can be really helpful in helping you to do so.
  • Broken
    Hi @PippaScope, I have just spoken with a very nice man from DWP regarding getting a copy of my f2f assessment report. He called it a "Medical report" and has printed it off and put it in the post to me, stating that he was doing it there and then as I was on hold (I should receive this by Saturday/Monday). Apparently it is not yet with the DM and this could take 6-8 weeks. He said there was no "points" recorded on the report just a 7/10 for pain (which was my reply when asked by the nurse what my pain level was on that day). Had it been higher, I would have been bed bound. I also asked him if the nurse had her surname on this report and what her nursing qualification was. He replied with her name and that she was a Registered Nurse but that was all the information he had. It would appear that the only contact number is the freephone one 0800 169 0310 as when I tried the number on my letters from them (ESA Basildon. Wolverhampton 0345 6088545) a recorded message stated that calls to this number are no longer available and to phone the 0800 one instead. 
    Hopefully this report will arrive and possibly give me some clue as to what the DM may decide. :-) I will keep you informed of progress in case anything can be of help to others. Thanks again for all your support and help. 
  • Broken
    @tomm Thanks. Checked this out and from a choice of 4 with same name, only one has Essex as location.Adult registered nurse, start date 10/05/07, no additional qualifications. If this is she, then it would seem she is a registered nurse although it does not specify in what capacity so could be a midwife? :-) 
  • Broken
    @tomm I am guessing that in the grand scheme of things ... it won't really matter as such. The DWP give such extensive training of 7 days+ that this alone fully qualifies the assessors employed to carry out their duties with impunity and therefore complete accuracy. How dare we mere mortals question and assert our rights? One good thing to come of all this ... I no longer believe myself to suffer from paranoia or persecution :-) 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    The training that acessment staff receive is mainly on how to use the cumputer software for recording and inputting the data that they have to input at the acessments. As regards to medical training as I understand it there is no additional training just on how to use the software.
  • Broken
    ESA Update: I received the copy of the assessment/medical report. There are a number of inaccuracies within it (including some minor, others possible typos's). The good news (should this report be acceptable to the DM when it finally gets in front of them) is that under the heading "LCW and LCWRA information" - The client was found to meet the criteria for Limited Capability for work and work related activity. 
    The report was overall mainly accurate, however, if I were taking the prescribed medication at the dosages listed, I would probably be dead from an overdose. Perhaps this is just the way the computer needs the format to be?
    The timing of the assessment has been reported as just 12 minutes (it actually took circa 30+ mins).
    The time of the report being completed is stated as 18.30 (my medical was for 9 a.m.). I can only conclude from this that the reports are finalised (possibly using memory and quickly written down notes) at the end of the working day once clients have all been seen.
    Medication not brought. It was clearly visible within a clear plastic container and placed on the desk. Medical records of meds was duly noted. 
    I strongly advise that great care is taken to visibly show any difficulties experienced as well being repetitively vocally  demonstrative to illuminate for example the problems experienced getting to the assessment centre. It is too easy for us to "put on a brave face" which is what many of us do to hide behind how we really feel. As the saying goes "You don't get a second chance to make a first impression". It is human nature to make an instant impression based on the first few seconds of contact with another. 
    The descriptors for my assessment/medical report came under the following headings:
    Medical conditions and treatment
    Side effects due to medication
    Description of Functional Ability
    Condition History
    Social History
    Occupational History
    Description of a typical day
    Medical Examination Findings
    General
    Lower Limb/Upper Limb
    Left Forearm/right forearm
    Cardiac. respiratory,vascular
    Vision, speech, hearing
    Conciousness
    Continence
    Mental State
    Appearance #######
    Behaviour
    Speech
    Mood
    Thoughts
    Perceptions
    Cognition
    Insight
    Observed behaviour
    This is where the input of how your disability affects you is recorded. 

### Appearance: I would strongly advise that wearing make up and having nails varnished, hair and clothing pristine, basically smelling of roses and looking glam, would be regarded as "having pride in one's appearance" and therefor resulting in an opinion that would not be conducive to "scoring points". 
    Hopefully some of the above will help those of you who are going through the f2f "medical". 
    I await the final outcome of mine with a little more hope than before I received the copy of the report. 
    Further updates to follow: Peace be with you all. 

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Broken, thanks for the update and for sharing this with us- it's frustrating to see inaccuracies but I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling positive. Do keep us updated, and I really hope you get the outcome you're hoping for!
  • Broken
    Hi @PippaScope. Thank you, I shall update as soon as I know outcome. I suspect that as the copy of the report has been sent to me, it would indicate that the DM would need to have very good reasons to disagree with the recommendations of the HP that DWP are employing. 

The advise booklet that came with the PIP assessment appointment letter seems to be very "nicely" worded and informative. It includes "A companion can add in anything that helps you explain the difficulties you face more clearly, or help you answer any questions that you're asked". Along with "The HP will always ID themselves clearly with photographic proof of ID" Most importantly it goes on to state " Please tell the HP if you'd like to see what they're writing in their report. Sometimes it may be easier if they describe what's being written". 
    It also states "You can only request a copy once DWP writes to you with their decision". So ....not the same as ESA???

I am going to ask if my companion can take photo's with their mobile phone of what is on the assessors screen as there is no way I shall be able to see to read it clearly. 

This information booklet has IAS/Atos VO2 2017 A5 printed on the back so presumably has been in circulation/used since the time they changed their name to IAS.
  • Broken
    Hi, some positive news to report yay! I have the brown envelope contents stating that I am still in the support group with ESA. Huge relief! Just have to await the outcome of the PIP assessment now ..... Many thanks to all who have supplied very useful and supporting info, @Username_removed , @CockneyRebel, @PippaScope @tomm (sorry, cannot recall others names but you will know who you are). 
    I would be doing a "Happy dance" but have to contend with a virtual/mental one instead or I could be adding broken hips to my list of ailments lol. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Broken

Thanks for a positive post, I hope your PIP goes as well

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.