PIP back pay and saving — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP back pay and saving

Options
pinemartine
pinemartine Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, everyone.
My husband had tribunal for his PIP in Nov last year, and his award has changed from nothing to enhanced. 
We have been waiting for the back pay (we just found out there was a mistake on the documents from the court to DWP and it’s been taking longer than usual).
We will receive a quite big amount for back pay and I am wondering if it might affect to other benefit if the money in our account becomes over 6000 pounds due to the back pay.
I remember I have read back pay of benefit wouldn’t be considered as saving, but I cannot find the information. 
Also do we have to inform DWP, housing benefit, and carer’s allowance about the back pay?
Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hi @pinemartine

Congratulations on your husband's successful tribunal! From what I can see on other forums (such as this one), the back payment seems to be disregarded and not classed as savings for 52 weeks, however hopefully a benefits advisor will be able to clarify this for you. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi pinemartine,

Arrears of benefit are disregarded for 52 weeks so any back pay for your PIP should not be counted. After 52 weeks whatever you have left will be counted as part of your savings. You should tell all income-related benefits departments about it though, they have ways of finding out how much savings people have and to avoid having your benefits suspended and having to explain it all at a later date you can tell them from the outset and potentially save you any distress down the line.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• pinemartine
    pinemartine Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice. We are still waiting for the payment. We will inform other welfare benefit departments about the back pay. Thank you. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.