Bad depression — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bad depression

Helenmich83
Helenmich83 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited February 2018 in Coffee lounge
Hi, I’m struggling to get out of bed to go to work this morning

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Hi @Helenmich83, welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear this morning has been hard. Please do let us know if there is anything we can do to help or support you.

How are you feeling now? Are you receiving support for your depression?
  • Bill
    Bill Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Hi @Helenmich83 ,
    Welcome too this Online Community! 
    I'm sorry to read that this morning has been hard for you. There are several advisors in this community -- may I suggest you may get advice from 'Ask a mental health advisor'
    Bill

• Bill
    Hi @Helenmich83 ,
    I'm sorry to read that this morning has been hard for you. There are several advisors in this community -- may I suggest you may get advice from 'Ask a mental health advisor'
    Bill

• Bill
    Hi @Helenmich83 ,
    I'm sorry to read that this morning has been hard for you. There are several advisors in this community -- may I suggest you may get advice from 'Ask a mental health advisor'
    Bill

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Helenmich83 How are you, hope you are OK.  I understand the issues and problems.  As many of our community do.  I know it is not easy talking.  I know I struggle every day, but coming on this forum helps me

I have anxiety and depression and most days just need to talk about what is causing my self pain to day.

Always here to listen any time, I hope I can be some support.

Take care.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Helenmich83
    Thank you the spice man. Joined this on a whim yesterday but didn’t know really what to say back to the Scope people. Mood is lifting today but the anxiety is still ongoing which is just the way it is sometimes. As you say you understand this unfortunately, sorry to hear you suffer too but at least we are not alone. I work for a Organization that kind of gives me a bit of lea way but still like to be at work in a rountine and it frustrates me when I fall into the black hole of depression. I hope your coping okay today and not suffering too much x
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Helenmich83 Thank you for reply.  I am sorry about the anxiety.  I have things in place if you do not mind saying to help me to get through each day.

I know it is not easy coping with stress and strain of work plus being ill.  You feel you can not do your job well.  Remember small steps.  I have been there used to get worse big guilty feelings and emotions..  Never your fault.

I am happy they are understanding your employers, that is a good start.

Please can I suggest simple things I do to help me.  I have to say this is me.  My way.  I know you might think different.

I am on medication which helps me a lot.  Some times being on medication is a good start but other things can assist.

I do not know do have support that can help you with your depression.  If not always here to listen as many of our community are.

You may not feel like it but simple snacks of feel good foods can alleviate some of the symptoms of depression.  In my opinion help me.

Chicken Soup especially Chicken Noodle Soup is an example of one to consider.  There was a piece on the web how certain foods can help.  Do not be surprised Dark Chocolate was one.  Certain spices Chilli and Ginger can help as does Tumeric.

You might have some thing you like.

I have comforting relaxing music like Classic FM.  Have a comfort box  I call it more like a book case but I have a library of CD's all upbeat feel good music, my Italian illustrated Recipe Books which have pictures of places of Italy in them, helps to think of sunny skies, my bible with favourite passages.  I have a folder I have created what to in a crisis or when I get lonely.

Included my go to recipes when I need some soul food that I crave to cope.  See my posts in Coffee Lounge.

You may think this is strange but my lovely support worker asked me when I got really down what she does and suggested this.

What would you make your comfort box.  Poetry have a favourite one, use words from a novel to help.  Could be scented candles or oils.  I use those occasionally.

I live on my own but having anything that eases the depression helps me.

I hope you find anything useful.  Also am here to listen soothe be a friend if you wish to.  Want to talk about anything.  

That helps me every day all my lovely new friends in the community.

Take care  Nice to talk to you
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Helenmich83
    Thank you so much for all these ideas! I did t know about some of these. The comfort box sounds good so I might try that and the foods you mentioned also. I’m on medication for my bipolar but may look into whether this needs to be altered now you’ve mentioned it. I live by myself at home apart from my little girl but once she’s in bed that’s me by myself for the night and I think the loneliness doesn’t help as I don’t know about you but I find it hard to reach out to some of my friends as they have never experienced mental healthx
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Helenmich83 Thank you for reply.  Understanding what and how your mental state is important.

I do know you are aware of this.  Changes on medication is never easy, switching I am on meds went from 15mg to 30 mg took a long time.  Adjustments of sleep patterns and diet, lifestyle all play apart.

I have been suffering with anxiety and depression as I have said a long times.  I found for me personally certain lifestyle choices I had to make.

For example you are to me know your own self and what makes you the person you are.  I can understand how frustrating and sometimes get annoyed with how you are feeling.

Loneliness is the social disease of our society and I am one of those people who can not forget how lonely I am.  You and others like myself are part of this community.  I understand it is hard to share what is happening to you but I am here to listen.

Coping at home and the most important person in your life is your child.  I can imagine you are not 100% most days.  You know you have a responsibility for her welfare and I can understand that situation is never easy.

I do wonder if any body can advise you on support groups in your area.  The team at SCOPE perhaps.

I have similar issues with friends.  How to approach your friends about mental health.  Never easy.

I have had an addiction history connected to anxiety so that is my issues.  Yet coming on here talking about it helps.

If they were friends they would care about you as you care about them.

Glad to have met you.  Please if wish to chat always here to listen.

Take care
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Helenmich83
    Thank you so much for all you advice and same goes for you if you need to talk I’m here. It’s nice to know there are some understanding people in this world who also have know to  how it feels to have a mental illness. 
    Im going to make that box you were telling me about tomorrow. I’ve found some bits to put in it so I’ll give it a go x

Brightness