Pip assessment walking question. Neither distance nor time related. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessment walking question. Neither distance nor time related.

Ladybirdgirl
Ladybirdgirl Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I am hoping there are any legal advisors here that can help me.
I have a neurological tonic muscle which means most of my day is spent regularly layed down on my left side to try to counteract the deformity the muscular contortion makes. Sitting or standing during these times is impossible as I cant hold up the torso due to muscle fatigue and pain. I spend the majority of the day and evening in this position. There is a little time mid morning I can be ok to walk. My gait is odd and it can become uncomfortable within varying amounts of time. However my point is that I cant walk most of the day because my back and hip are just too tight and fatigued. 
How does that fit in with the walking criteria distance or time please because it doesnt seem to fit my situation at all and I find it very unfair. 

Thanks for any help here. It was not taken on board at my assessment. (A disaster which I shall explain in another post)

Many thanks for any help 

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ladybirdgirl

I suggest you re-post in Ask a benefits advisor category.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ladybirdgirl
    Sorry to hear your problem. Not an health or legal person but on reading the pip questions it does state that what you can and cannot do for each question. So from their point of view either you can or can't walk the distances stated in the form or do the daily living tasks to be awarded points, it a bit cut and dry and depends on the accessors view on the day having knowledge of your illness ect.
  • Matilda
    edited February 2018
    @Ladybirdgirl

@wilko is right.  PIP points are awarded for how far you can walk when you do walk.  You do not have to walk at certain times of the day or even every day.

0-20m aided = 12 points (enhanced)

20-50m aided = 10 points (standard)

20-50m unaided = 8 points (standard)

Time is also relevant.  The DWP say that slow walking 20m = 30 seconds.  Though it may take some people longer to walk 20m.

Claimants when asked for how long can they walk should always say it takes them X seconds to walk Y distance.  As the distance different people can cover in the same time can vary enormously.  This question is asked to try to catch people out.  If they say they can walk for 3 or 4 minutes then assessors, and tribunals, will think they can walk quite a long distance which isn't necessarily the case.  On a bad day it might take someone 3 or 4 mins to cover 20m.  Or the 3 or 4 minutes might include more stopping and resting time than walking itself.  Be very careful how you answer this question.

It is possible to over complicate how your disabilities do or don't fit the descriptors.  Keep it simple.  If you can't walk more than 20m, when you do walk, before you need to stop and rest for a few minutes, then that is the descriptor you fit.  You have to fit this descriptor at least 50% of the time, i.e. for at least 4 days out of 7.  This doesn't mean you have to walk on at least 4 days out of 7, rather that on 4 days out of 7 you can't walk further than 20m, without needing to stop, or you can't or can hardly walk at all on these 4 days..
  • duckett123
    duckett123 Community member Posts: 81 Courageous
    never say there are good days and bad because on a good day they will say you can walk or do most things when your in less pain if you make them think they will stop your money or lower it
  • Matilda
    I told assessor I had 5 bad days a week and was awarded PIP. I told her 'good' days were a bit better but not a lot.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @Matilda, that's the way to tell the acessor, your worst days, it's not what I can do but more of what I wish I could or used to do, would love to do but I can only now do. Makes all the difference did you get the higher award?
  • Matilda
    @wilko

I got standard  both components because assessor lied and told half-truths.  A tribunal later awarded me enhanced both components.
  • Ladybirdgirl
    Ladybirdgirl Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Thanks everyone it's all a bit confusing for me. I will have to read a few times iver to get my head around it I think. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.