Claiming PIP before a diagnosis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claiming PIP before a diagnosis

Options
Sandra19
Sandra19 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi there! My 19 year old daughter is currently waiting full diagnostic assessment for Aspergers. Is she able to claim PIP or anything else ESA? 
I'm not sure how these work as never claimed before for anything.  If she is able to claim what do we need to do? She is currently going through an Autism centre in Burnley. Through the doctors. She is at college at the moment but looking to go university in Sept. She wants to stay at homeand not move to a university away from home! Please help 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sandra19
    You may find it difficult to claim without a diagnosis, but it depends on how much other evidence you have about her impairment,

There is a PIP self test here you can try to see what points she may receive.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sandra19
    Sandra19 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thankyou. I have had a look at the form. 

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Sandra19,

It is not impossible to get PIP if a diagnosis hasn't been made. You may already have letters from doctors or consultants explaining the current situation which will help. For PIP, it is not necessarily the diagnosis but it is the effects of a health condition on the 10 daily living activities and 2 mobility activities that is relevant. It is often the case that a diagnosis for a young person appears to take a long time and they shouldn't be disadvantaged because of it. I'd say it's definitely worth a try!
    A full time student cannot get ESA unless they are in receipt of a disability benefit, such as PIP, or if they are a single parent, and some income they may be able receive from grants and loans are taking into account and generally disqualify the claim.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.