Hi, my name is jackykins! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is jackykins!

jackykins
jackykins Community member Posts: 15 Connected
hi all it will be nice to chat with people who understand what life is like with disabilitys

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jackykins, and welcome to the community. 
    You're in a safe place here, and among friends, and we are glad to have you with us. You can use the links lower down the screen to find conversations and discussions on most things and, if you pitch in :smile: you're sure to find people who are glad to chat.
    For now, perhaps you could tell us a little more about yourself?
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jackykins, and welcome! If we can be of any assistance, do let us know.
  • jackykins
    hi everyone and thankyou for such a warm welcome. I have osteoarthiritus had it for years the first five my doctor told me it was sciatica lol one day couldn't go to work sent me for an x ray and was told both hips were very bad and needed replacing felt great after but have had them 18 years now and the pain is unbearable but I am 70 years young lol and greatful fof being alive can anyone tell me am I allowed to ask for a special toilet seat I gave all mine back when I was feeling good
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @jackykins, and thanks for sharing this with us. So sorry to hear about your pain, it sounds like it must be really debilitating. You may like to have a chat with our chronic pain advisor to see if she can offer any guidance on coping with your pain. 

I've also moved this discussion into our Ask an Occupational Therapist category, to see if Jean can offer any guidance on your equipment needs. 
  • jackykins
    thankyou so much  I am so glad I can talk to people who understand
  • jackykins
    hi when I first had hip replacements after a while I thought I should return what I felt I did not need so someone else coud use them so I don't know how I stand if I amble to ask for help again 
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @jackykins

It sounds as if you need to arrange for the community based Occupational Therapist (OT) to come to your home to assess what aids or adaptations will be necessary.

You can arrange an OT visit by getting in touch with the adult social care team at your local authority (council). If you struggle to find the contact details you can email helpline@scope.org.uk saying what you need and including your postcode and a member of helpline staff will signpost you accordingly.

It is always preferable to get a proper OT assessment, but I am aware that waiting lists can be long. I am also aware that you are in a lot of pain and feel that a raised toilet seat would improve things for you. If you are confident about what you need and feel able to fit and use it safely, you might want to consider obtaining it privately, if you have the funds available. There is an interactive website that can assist with identifying suitable equipment and listing retailers it can be obtained from:

https://asksara.dlf.org.uk/

Even if you do decide to get a toilet seat yourself please do pursue arranging an OT assessment as there may be other advice, aids and adaptations that could assist you.

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• jackykins
    thankyou so much I will get in touch with them appreciate your help thank you 

Brightness