The disability price tag — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The disability price tag

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger

Scope's new report reveals that life in 2018 is still much more expensive for disabled people. Whether expensive items of equipment, higher fuel bills, or costly insurance premiums, disabled people face extra costs across many areas of their lives.

Key findings from our research:

• On average, disabled people face extra costs of £570 a month related to their impairment or condition. This is on top of welfare payments designed to help meet these costs.
  • For one in five disabled people, extra costs amount to over £1,000 per month.
  • After housing costs, disabled people on average spend 49 per cent of their income on disability-related costs.

Marie is just one of many disabled people faced with this financial penalty. Watch her story to find out more about the types of extra costs she faces.

Over the coming months we will be using this report to call on Government, businesses and regulators to all play their part in tackling extra costs.

We are talking about your top tips for saving money on this post, let us know your experiences of extra costs and money saving tips.

Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• kevin
    kevin Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I struggle with my taps and small basin in my bathroom plus I need help to have a bath and shower please give me advice on this issue 
  • paula_artist
    paula_artist Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Hi. Dr can refer you to occupational therapist. Risk assessment. U had one had a bathroom. I now have a wet room upstairs. They can help with lever taps. Also if you need help they can help sort things. My husband earns too much so they couldn't get it funded. Housing association paid for it. They also put an extra hand rail up. There is also an occupational therapist on here you could speak to and ask. Paula
  • kevin
    kevin Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    ThankThan for your hhelp
  • serobinson
    serobinson Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Just paid gas and electric bill. Over £500. I have periodic limb movement disorder and a spinal stinosis with sciatica. On thing that helps is a very hot bath. Water is on a meter as well. Keep getting letters saying we use higher than average. I sleep very little as the spasms from the plmd come on in the evening so heating is on longer as I am usually walking round all night with the restless legs that come with it.  (Diagnosed in 1996. 1 spasm a minute)   Add holiday insurance. If you can go on holiday.  Keep a stiff upper lip everyone. 
  • janejr
    janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Fuel bills are bad for me. Need the heat it helps with pain. Find the cold a real problem as can't get warm unless I have a hot shower. Haven't got a bath now as can't get in and out. My hot blanket is a god send the hotter the better. Ready meals can be expensive but are a must for me as can't stand for long periods and my hands and wrists are pretty useless. Also have to pay for all the jobs I can't manage like windows DIY , gardening, vacuuming and mopping because I have a disk desease in my back. I used to be so independent never had to ask anyone for anything. Frustrating and depressing. Could be worse I suppose so shouldn't moan
  • LyndaMcK
    LyndaMcK Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Janejr

I can relate perfectly to your situation and it is frustrating and depressing, especially when you have been so active before.
    I pay my fuel bills by averaging out the same amount every month. The fuel provider does that for you and the payment is adjusted up or down according to the average. It helps prevent those massive winter bills! Also, check if you are eligible for the Warm Home Fuel Payment. Many fuel providers offer this now, but you have to ask for it.

I too have the problem of always needing things done in and out of the house and so much money is spent paying for that. I do look for friends, or friends of friends who still need paid but don't cost you silly money, (like call out charges!). The council in Glasgow also run a scheme called 'Handyman'. Depending on your circumstances, they will do things like putting up shelves, picture hanging - nothing too technical or difficult, but it is free. It's maybe worth checking that out with your council too.

Most of all, I live on a strict budget. I hate debt and know that is where I would be if I didn't watch my money carefully. I know not all of us have financial difficulty, but so many of us do.

• feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    i had my gas meter removed, i cost nothing to remove and they will put it back in for free. there's no standing charge to pay now and we didn't need gas.i know this won't be suitable for everyone but it's an option for those who want it. £300 a year in savings though.
  • symphony
    symphony Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    I can relate to all of you. The only thing that gets my circulation moving is a hot bath the only thing is it’s difficult getting in and out of it as I have a prolapsed disc in my back and arthritic hips. I am B12 deficient/PA. I used to be so fit once and walk everywhere now I’m lucky if I can go walk down my stairs without falling or getting out of breath lol

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.