Looking for tips for your PIP appeal? New tips page published - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for tips for your PIP appeal? New tips page published

Comments

• feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    ok,thanks.
    i'm guessing their evidence is the assessment itself? like the assessor said things that contradict so i'm guessing i'll win easy enough.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    There is no such thing as an easy win.
    Although contradictions need to be pointed out, the only way you can win the award you deserve is to show that you meet the descriptors.

Often the HCP and dwp don't take into consideration the reliability factors.
    For a descriptor to be satisfied you must be able to complete it
    Safely
    Repeatedly
    To an acceptable standard
    And in a reasonable time

CR  
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • feir
    edited February 2018
    thanks CR.
    i actually looked into this a little further and am now going to try and backdate my appeal to before i became too ill to claim, i put 2 claims in, one several months after the first and the second one is this one i have just been appealing.

i'm at the doctors on friday so will try and get all the supporting evidence i need for my original claim, i never completed it as i became too ill to but noticed you can appeal after a month if you have a reasonable excuse. might as well push my luck as i'm sick of being fobbed off now.

sorry for the late reply also. been having some mental health issues due to being turned down for help, basically the rejection letter made me feel invalidated and blamed the lack of support i already have as a reason to why i was turned down.i feel a lot better today though and can think better and am organising.
  • feir
    edited February 2018
    seriously? so i have to do 2 appeals?
    not that fussed, on the days i can cope i can do anything lol. messing them about twice is good enough for me. always been one for returning the favour so that i shall do. :)
  • feir
    i don't mind if i get a lower award, i more want access to services that will give me a better quality of life, as it is now i have 0 life and 0 support, but by not having that support it was one of the reasons why i was turned down.

there's also a chance i can get better myself but i don't appear to be so want to think about having operations instead. thing is, unless i know there is support for me (if anything goes wrong especially as my whole life is going to be like this or worse, but also for afterwards while i recover if all goes well) then i don't think having operations is a good idea.

think i could do with actual legal help as social care is just failing me.
  • kath2000
    kath2000 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi my son was Diagnosed with Autism when 15years old applied for this new benefits pip went foe assessment and turned him down sent mantrory form and still turned him down now going to Appell try to get help with different advice every thing full booked cant get any help at all unsure how to Appeal not lot time before form as to be in on 26feb
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @kath2000

Disability Rights UK site has a good guide to PIP appeals.  And this site on Facebook might be of help:

esa/dla/pipadvicandsupportukonly
  • Rozann
    Rozann Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    I have just found on www.gov.uk a PIP Assessment Guide. Part 2 The Assessment Criteria A DWP guidance document for providers carrying out assessments for PIP. It makes very interesting reading. I was applying for the Higher Rate Moblity but was deemed able to walk 20-50 metres. The citeria to meet this descriptor is a person can walk 30 mtr. per minute.
  • CockneyRebel
    The mobility descriptors do not specifically mention time. HCP often use time as a way to confuse the  issue. Normal walking speed is around 90metre pm, very slow walking is half of that.If asked how long you can walk for many are pushed into saying 1-2 minutes which does not sound much but would even at very slow pace would put you out of the enhanced descriptor

12. Moving around.
    12 a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0 points
    12 b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4 points
    12 c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8 points
    12 d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points
    12 e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points
    12 f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, �(i) stand; or (ii) move more than 1 metre. 12 points

CR
  • Matilda
    I have heard that DWP think 20m = 30 seconds, though it might take some much longer on a bad day to walk 20m.  It is the distance that is the criterion for points; the length of time is an indicator of how far a person can walk.  Assessors, and tribunals, ask for how long can you walk to try to catch you out.  Always relate time to distance; just giving a time on its own might suggest you can walk farther than  you can.

Did you apply for a mandatory reconsideration?

• Rozann
    Thank you all for helping me understand the nuances of the system. I first had to apply for PIP in March 2017 lost my enhanced rate mobility in June 2017 did a Mandatory Reconsideration with no change went through the process of applying for an appeal and have been told it should be in April 2018. I wasn't asked how long I can walk for or how long it takes me to walk a certain distance.
  • Matilda
    At my assessment I was asked for how long can I walk, not how far.  At appeal the doc asked both for how long can I walk and how far, both separately.  Assessors and tribunals don't usually ask how long does it take to walk a certain distance though they should relate one to the other.

I asked tribunal doc did he mean how long does it take me to walk so far?  I insisted on relating time to distance.  Tribunal awarded me enhanced mobility.
  • Rozann
    Thank you for the help I'm nervous but will all my notes that with me

• Rozann
    Thank you Matilda for you advice about distances walked and times. From what friends who have had to go through the process havr told me I agree with your comments.
  • Matilda
    Thank you, @Rozann.  Good luck with your appeal.
  • linlin
    linlin Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have just had my PIP tribunal hearing and it wasn't good. Three years ago I had a tribunal with DLA, as I wasn't deemed disabled enough through the forms. At the time I suffered with COPD, asthma, osteoporosis and osteoarthritis, plus a degenerative spine disease, so couldn't walk because of breathing and pain. The judge then awarded me low DLA care allowance and high rate mobility indefinitely, and stated that I could hardly walk and that my symptoms would never improve. Went to PIP tribunal and they totally disregarded the previous comments and just offered me low rate mobility so now am housebound.
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi linlin and welcome

Have you asked for a statemente of reason ?

CR
  • linlin
    linlin Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    What is a statement of reason, i was too upset to think about anything
  • Rozann
    edited November 2022
    Thank you mike [removed by moderator] a I have my tribunal soon and that’s very handy to know 
  • linda67
    linda67 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    I suffer with type 1 diabeties nuropsthy in both feet right leg and hands i have arthritis and plantar fibrosis and my doctor has referred me to a rhuemotolgist i suffer depression and seen a counsellor and pain clinic i also have retinopathy in onr eye and am having injections i am 50 years old and feel totally lost i put in for pip but was refused on thevreport i feel a few things for wrong and lied about i adjed for amr but was refused i went to law centre and they are helping me appeal i have my appeal on 12th april 2018 but i feel really bad with my anxiety and dont no if i can go through with it does anyone have any tips to help me get through it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.