How do you go about cancelling a 'attendance allowance' claim please? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you go about cancelling a 'attendance allowance' claim please?

amywillis
amywillis Community member Posts: 2 Listener
thank you for accepting me.......can anyone tell me,  how do you go about cancelling a 'attendance allowance' claim please?   iv stupidly sent in a form for my 83 year old severely disabled dad (he has a bad heart, parkinsons and dementia) and on DLA with middle care.  someone told me to claim for him and my mum  so I did but have now found out his DLA could stop....im so upset I should have read into it first       iv written and got my dad to sign it (he didn't know what he was signing ) but i explained that I didn't know you can't if you are on DLA    I sent it in over a week ago so is it too late ... I am so upset....thank you xx

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @amywillis and welcome to the community. Good to have you with us.
    I'm only really here to say hello and let you know that your message has been received. Unlike a lot of people here I'm not an expert on benefits, but we have plenty of those and I am sure they will be in touch with you very soon.
    I would recommend that you don't worry too much :smile: (which is easier said than done, I know), as I am confident that this situation can be sorted out.
    Bear with us, and our experts will get back to you.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @amywillis

The benefits system can be a minefield and it's easy to be confused by it, I can understand you are upset by all this.

It may be worth you filling in a benefits calculator for your mum and dad so you can see exactly what they could be entitled to and the best way forward.

You could also try calling the Age UK advice line on 

0800 055 6112

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.