Voices and Psychosis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Voices and Psychosis

millington
millington Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited February 2018 in Mental health and wellbeing

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @millington

Welcome! :)

How are you?

Ami :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • millington
    Hi AMI I'm not very well at the moment how are you
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @millington
    Welcome to the community, do you want to tell us a bit more about yourself?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @millington

I am OK thank you :) Sorry to read that you are not very well, is there anything we can do for you?

Ami
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @millington and welcome to the community. Like others here, I am sorry to read that you are feeling unwell at the present. Like them, too, I would like to help, and the best way we can help you is to know what is happening to you :smile:
    You don't need to be 'brave', you don't need to tell us 'I'm fine' and you don't need to worry about people picking on you for telling the truth.
    We're all friends here, linked by disability, often by pain, often by loneliness, anxiety and depression. Whatever you are going through, you'll find sympathetic listeners here.
    We're listening, @millington. You matter.
    Hope that helps.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • millington
    Hi Richard I'm having a hard time with my voices I have one that is continually telling me that I would be better of dead I go to places where they deal with mental health on a daily basis but I am struggling at the moment 
  • millington
    Hi Sam I suffer with mental health I suffer with depression anxiety ptsd and psychosis ie voices 
  • JennysDad
    Hi @millington.  My heart goes out to you and there is a lot I feel I want to say to you. To begin with, though, I would like to be your friend.
    Is that okay by you?

• millington
    Hi Richard that would be nice
  • JennysDad
    Hi @millington, and thank you for accepting me. I am honoured.

I note that in one of your posts from yesterday (23rd) you acknowledge that 'voices' are part of a psychosis. You know then, I think, that these are the voices of an illness?

What you need to listen to, perhaps, is the rational voices of those like me to whom you are important. Yes, important, even though I scarcely know you.

I grew up wanting to die. The first time I tried to end my life I was barely 11 years old. Had I known more, younger, I would probably not have waited that long.
    I grew up as a child in a dysfunctional marriage, a marriage that should never have happened, and I came to believe things about myself which it took me a long time to discover were not true. Among other things I was raised in the belief that I was the course of the marriage breakup between my parents - a guilt trip too many kids are exposed to, but made worse by one parent stating it as fact.
    I'm still here, 55 years on from that attempt, and it was not the last.

And I am glad I am still here, because it means I have a chance to talk to you, to get to know you at least a little, a chance to count you as a friend.

What I would like to ask of you, if I may, is that you tell me about yourself and, especially, about what is hurting you. I know you are in pain.

I am here, and I am listening.

Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @millington

You say you go to places where they deal with mental health, do you tell them how you are feeling and that you are hearing voices?

If you are struggling and worried about the voices and think you may hurt yourself, it is really important that you speak to someone who understands and who can help.

You can get lots of information on the MIND site.
    If you don't feel you can keep yourself safe right now, seek immediate help.
    • go to any hospital A&E department (sometimes known as the emergency department)
    • call 999 and ask for an ambulance if you can't get to A&E
    • ask someone else to contact 999 for you or take you to A&E immediately
    If you need some support right now, but don't want to go to A&E, here are some other options for you to try:
    • contact the Samaritans on freephone 116 123, they're open 24 hours and are there to listen
    • contact your local crisis team

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @millington Good afternoon, Welcome Pleased to meet you.  I understand you not well.  I see you have spoken to Richard, Sam and Ami.

Great that's important.  Talking helps.

I have anxiety and depression.  Just let you know.

Is anybody aware of your mental health.  Please can I ask who is supporting you.

All of us in the community are caring and concerned.  You have been given some useful information.  Sometimes it is not easy to digest what is happening to you.  I understand that.

The hardest part is discussing your own mental health needs.  What is troubling you.  That is not easy to do sometimes.

I am an old fashioned gentleman who finds it hard to talk about my own personal battles with my mental health.  Especially to a support worker, also to a lady.  Who was looking after my needs.  So I had to do this.

Just a suggestion I wrote down how I was feeling, emotional, and anything else that effecting me.  Asked to see my support worker next meeting told her.  Please can you read this thank you.

I know it is sometimes not easy to do just worked for me.  Got the help and support for my own needs.  Need to say what is wrong.

Please can I say use this forum.  This helps me.  Lots of support and help here.  All of the community understands

Take care
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • millington
    I have a care co ordinator that I see every six months and if I need to see someone inbetween I can make an emergency  appointment I was just having a really hard time with my voices and didn't want to phone for help that day I just needed to use my tools to overcome the voices only sometimes it takes a bit longer I am on meds I see my gp but have recently been diagnosed with diabetes as well it's hard trying to remember what I can and can't eat and also trying to remember meds but I am starting to get there as they say takecone day at a time
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @millington   Thank you for reply.  I am just concerned the length of time if you need to speak to some one.  One thing about my own mental health needs I am responsible I am the one taking the medication.

I also am a gentleman of a certain age.  Take a lot persuading to do things.  I have learnt my Doctors is there for me.  Yes it is a pain to go down.  Being there do I need this.  Do not like being told what to do.

Who does.

Please can I say use a diary for your meds.  Buy a A4 binder put paper in it.  Add recipes, foods you can eat and cannot eat.

I do this myself.  Have a itemised folder of recipes ideas and anything food related.

Forget to know and how do I do this recipe again.

Go on websites have a look.  Maybe speak to SCOPE advisors here.

Is there anything the community can help with.  Ask.  I do recipes to adapt for my own disability see my posts.

Please ask, am here to listen.

Take care
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • JennysDad
    Hi @Ourania
    and I'm glad to see you're getting a lot of useful input. I'm here, still, of course, and will be listening out for you.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • dee4848
    dee4848 Community member Posts: 256 Pioneering
    Hello people I would like to share my experience with voices , but please remember it is  my experience. 6 years ago my two beautiful sons died suddenly 3 months later I attempted to take my own life I couldn' bare going through life without them , when I woke up in the hospital the doctor told my beautiful daughter that I had cheated death the after affects of my overdose was terrible((please people think twice) whilst I was in the hospital for TWO weeks I experienced the first voice and the image that came with it , I was layed in bed and wide awake I looked down the corridor I could see my two Sons standing there couldn' believe my eyes, then a man' voice in my ear said you didn' do it properly if you want to see those I have just shown you ,you   will do it again properly. I told the nurse she said it' ok your just illusinating with all the tablets , then that eased my mind .Everyday from that day I was getting called every nasty dirty name you couldn' even imagine,I was put into a room on my own  I was terrified , I was that terrified I called my brother who is a Christian to stay with me , One day I struggled on a drip to go to the bathroom , the voice came clean yourself up you dirty B...h Yes I had an accident on the way to the bathroom.From then on I'd had enough and told him if to leave me alone he isn' real and he wont convince me he is no matter how much he tried.After I'd cleaned my self up I got back to my room and said to my brother iv told him to leave me alone so iv probably peed him off , the the voice was back he said "no you havent" but this time I wasn' the only one who heard his voice , my brother heard him too , my brother said now it' time to pray to God and ask for protection, we spent half an hour asking for God's protection and rebuking the voice. Since that day of praying I haven' heard the creepy voice but I do know he is lurking around  me but I don' let him in I have learnt how to deal with him with the help of God. What I'm saying is in my experience the voice was real and witnessed I just learnt not to let him tornment me.
  • dee4848
    edited February 2018
    And also id like to say that that this voice lead me to believe i was going out my mind and i was a ctazy person,had it not been proven to be real I would of thought I was loosing my mind and i was crazy .
  • millington
    I have had my voices for a very long time and when I was you I went to see a vicar/priest when I was a young age thinking I was proccesed but I was the only person to hear my voices both inwardly and outwardly when outwardly I can see the people these voices belong to so now I take meds and go to support groups and see my gp and care co ordinator as and when I need to I'm pleased that you feel stronger now because you have God in your life but I don't think that would work for me
  • dee4848
    Well I hope you do get the help you need from somebody out there , don' get me wrong I don' attend church or anything I was just shown how to deal with it Good Luck with your future .
  • millington
    I'm sorry if I have attended you that was not my intention it just that I tried that way through church and the bible but it didn't give me the answer that I was after I'm glad it worked for you I wish I had your faith but as I grow older I find it hard to believe in any religion if any thing I envy you that you can find peace that way again sorry if I offended you 

Brightness