Chronic pain relief — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chronic pain relief

charlene
charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
Appoint with my doctor this morning and asked for repeat prescription for Tramodol and paracetamol.  Said yo him I really did feel that none of the painkillers worked on my fibromyalgia.  His reply was that a lot of doctors felt none of the opioits had any effect.  However they felt councilling had more effect. 
When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Comments

• ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Hi @charlene,
    I think that a lot of fibro sufferers would agree with you, and a lot of research shows that opiates don't help with chronic pain and if used long term can actually make the pain worse.  i wrote about it - if you would like to read I will send you the links.
    But this doesn't help us sitting here with chronic pain!  Anxiety & stress do increase pain levels, and many forms of counselling aim to help reduce these feelings and teach you ways to help you cope/ manage your pain....it is worth trying.
    Is your GP going to refer you?
    Claire
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk
  • Anth
    Anth Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Hi Charlene,
    i have been prescribed every med possible for fibromyalgia and I have allergic reactions and side effects with all of them..tramadol made me feel like a zombie..I couldn't move a muscle after just a few of them. I've had gabapentin, pregabalin, tegratol, amatriptalin..none of which helped and all had side effects like rashes, headaches, hair loss( amatriptalin).
    ive tried the anti depressants..cymbalta, citalopram and sertraline..all having no effects on my symptoms..
    i now only take the odd co codamol.
    my allergic reactions to drugs and other products have led me to find non invasive sources that help me personally..tens machine, ActiPatch, heat, accupuncture, gentle massage, stretching..and always remember to pace yourself and rest in between activities..
    ive been in a major flare since Christmas when I contracted Aussie flu and then a tummy bug..I was also hit with major stress due to a family problem which has rendered me totally useless..I am only just beginning to feel a bit less pain but still not well enough to do most daily stuff..worth looking at alternatives to manage pain and fatigue.
  • charlene
    Hi Clair thank you I would like those links. I am already waiting for a date for counselling, mental Heath issues. would that type of therapy help with my fibromyalgia? Since my plp assessment my  levels have heighten greatly.
  • charlene
    Hello Anth, have tried Citalapram, but that was really for mental health.  I think Amitrptiline helps me because some nights I have some rest without to much tossing and turning. People don't seem to realise how debilitating fibromyalgia is I can spend lots of time dozing, or just sat in my chair as I haven't the energy to do things.
  • Anth
    Hi Charlene,.I was told that citalopram would increase the seratonin iand aid my Fibro..same with cymbalta..don't take any of them now ..I cope with the pain most days but I do find the fatigue is so debilitating. I get tired out with little or no activity..the amatriptaline was ok to begin with then my hair started falling out and GP said was rare side effect.. I have weeks of no sleep followed by weeks of falling asleep at drop of a hat! What I've noticed is that I don't ever feel li,e I've had deep restorative sleep where I wake feeling full of get up and go..
  • charlene
    Hi Anth , losing hair would freak me out.  My doctor told me the amitrptiline would boost my depression tab. said I was on the highest dose and could not give me more.   I to find the fatigue with fibromyalgia difficult to handle stops me doing many things . I have joke and said it should be called The Rip Van Wickle deasease., and said I could sleep for England, win a gold medal.
  • Anth
    Hi Charlene, haha..good nick name!
  • charlene
    Many thanks Anth. Hope ur having a good day.
  • Anth
    Not so great today Charlotte..rest day.
  • charlene
    Have a good rest, catch up with you soon.
  • ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    charlene said:
    Hi Clair thank you I would like those links. I am already waiting for a date for counselling, mental Heath issues. would that type of therapy help with my fibromyalgia? Since my plp assessment my  levels have heighten greatly.
    Hi Charlene, hope you have had a good weekend - the cold weather is causisng me some grief!  I do know people who have found counselling therapies helpful - not to say that they get of the pain, but might help you to find ways to cope better.
    The links to my opiate posts are:
    https://painpalsblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/25/chronic-pain-opiates-part-1/
    https://painpalsblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/26/chronic-pain-opiates-where-does-that-leave-me-part-2/

Claire
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk

Brightness