My partner left and now I don't know how to deal with finances — Scope | Disability forum

My partner left and now I don't know how to deal with finances

Elvis Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all, this all seems a little odd to me, not something I have ever done before but here goes.
I am disabled and on Valentines day my partner of 5 years up and left without a word to examine why. I have a pituitary tumor and something called Ostiochrondritis desiccant, which basically crumbling joins which is in both knees and leaves me in constant pain and unable to sleep or consentrate for long, I get very fatigued very easily, I take fairly hight does of morphine every day and I claim EESA and DLA not sure if I am getting all that I can or where to turn to ask, I have been into my local job centre they gave me a phone number to call but they were not a lot of help or maybe I don't know the right questions, and help would be appreciated as I am worried that I will not have enough money to pay the bills and rent etc. This is all new to me as my partner used to do all this for me but now she has gone I am left with a big council tax and rent over payment bill and I am at my whits end. Again will be very grateful for your help. 


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,945 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Elvis

    Welcome to our community!

    I am so sorry to read what you have recently gone through and your health problems. We are all here to help and support you anyway we possibly can :)

    The community has a benefits advisor that you can talk to, also many discussions about pain, benefits, etc. 

    If you need anything, we are here :)

    Ami :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,212 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Elvis and welcome

    So sorry about your partner

    best advice is get help from CAB or similar as soon as you can

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,674 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Elvis

    Welcome to the community, great username! My son's middle name is Elvis!

    I am really sorry to hear about the breakdown of your relationship and understand it must be stressful and worrying to have the stress of dealing with finances.

    I think @CockneyRebel is right that it would be good for you to get some face to face support to untangle your financial worries and the CAB is a great place to start.

    You can also use Advice Local where you put in your postcode and the topic you are interested in and it will show you what local support is available to you.
    Senior online community officer
  • maid08
    maid08 Member Posts: 307 Connected
    check with council they may have a welfare officer you can chart to about sorting out benefits and such things


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.