Epilepsy & Benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Epilepsy & Benefits

linzp91
linzp91 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
my partner was assessed last year for pip was given the enhanced rate of daily living for his epilepsy, depression and anxiety. He recently had another assessment and was given 0 points told he was fit for work and basically told to get on with it. Nothing has changed since his last assessment so how can it have changed so dramatically in the space of 10 months.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi linzp and welcome

Have you challenged the decision ?

Some assessor have rose tinted glasses and think the second coming has arrived, some seem to have another agenda

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Bill
    Bill Community member Posts: 30 Courageous

Hi @linzp91

Welcome to this Online Community!

There are many resources that might help you.

Alternatively, we have a lot of useful information about appealing a DWP benefits decision on our website, including some resources on MRs. You may find the following video on mandatory reconsiderations of interest:

Bill

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
  • linzp91
    Hi linzp and welcome

Have you challenged the decision ?

Some assessor have rose tinted glasses and think the second coming has arrived, some seem to have another agenda

CR
    Thanks for your reply we have challenged the decision, it’s not seeming very hopeful after some of the other story’s we have heard recently but worth a try, just bewildered how it can go from 14 point to none when his condition hasn’t changed in the slightest since his last assessment. 
  • linzp91
    Is his condition controlled?
    does he have warnings?
    if so this is the reason.
    you need to appeal due to safety reasons.
    i am awaiting my assessment report . I have uncontrolled epilepsy with no warnings. Just like switching a light switch off.
    i also now have a back injury due to a seizure that affects my sciatica nerve and a numb right foot.
    i was on DLA for life for 20 yrs .
    God knows what my result will be.
    contact the epilepsy society 
    No his condition it not controlled. He is also the same he doesn’t get any warning signs of when a seizure is about to happen. This has resulted in him collapsing in the middle of a busy road and almost being hit with a car. He suffered facial injuries and a fractured cheek bone. Pip are aware of this and seen pictures and had evidence from the hospital, but clearly this is not enough for them. This country really annoys me they are quick to help alcoholics or drug users but anyone who is genuinely disabled is left to sing for any money/help.
  • Paul7210
    Paul7210 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    Hi @linzp91, i'm really sorry to hear of your partner, if he has regular seizures then he should be entitled to some PIP. My wife has daily seizures and has full time care in the home while I go to work, not sure if it would help but you could ask for a care needs assessment and they tend to have a welfare officer that can help, best of luck if you appeal.
    Paul

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.