PIP Interviewer Lied on Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Interviewer Lied on Assessment

SimonH
SimonH Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I had my interview in 2016  

Health :    Lower lumber spine persistent pain nerve root -  Degenerative Spinal disc Disease
                Sciatica Left leg
                COPD
                Hypertonic Badder - Incontinence -   Urethral restriction  ( Have option for surgery but would  require removal of part of Prostrate
                Depression/Anxiety
There are other conditions not as problematic

For mobility I got 10 points
For Care              0  points

This is my account of DLA Assessment  I declare this is both truthful and accurate

quote:   You said you had difficulty planning and following journeys . You attended the assessment on your own and engaged well with the assessor . I have decided you can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided , safely reliably  and for the majority of days

I got there by Taxi  I did not have to plan the journey or follow any route, I did not even order the Taxi my partner did,  she Also came with me for both physical and emotional support . I would  not of gone alone in any circumstances 

I was asked how I got there I said by Taxi .
at no point  was I asked if I was accompanied .  I cannot comprehend how he could not notice I was with my partner . I did however enter the interview room alone my partner was upset emotional and under a lot of pressure at the time , I felt it was best , how I regret that now.

quote:  There was no cognitive impairment noted

This despite some time prior being referred by my GP to a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist  and undergoing treatment

quote:   You coped well at the assessment showing normal manner and building a good rapport with the assessor

This could not be further from the truth . I asked for the interview to be terminated half way through as I was becoming distressed . I found the techniques used by the interviewer divisive  dishonest and unlikely to be following guidelines .    This was possibly construed as being asked "awkward" questions I wanted to avoid  or something like

I was asked if I could make a piece of toast which in its context confused me as to its relevance and I totally lost focus with other questions  for a while

Several times throughout I was reminded that the assessor was Independent  and nothing to do with the DWP which I found no problem with left at that  but it went further , he on at least 2 occasions  leant  right over to me and whispered that actually he was on my side , in a manner suggesting  he was somehow doing me some kind of favour

I find this both Dishonest and Despicable  and an experience never wish to repeat again

I appealed the decision and got the following pionts

Mobility   10 points  ( No Change)
Care        12 points  ( From 0)

That has been my status since

I am in a situation where I am not getting  Higher Rate Mobility  due to either the Incompetence or dishonesty of the interviewer  .   The assessment in my case was so focused and biased towards reducing the points for mobility to below 10  it has ended up both unfair and unjust

I fund a car with part of my care component which is difficult but it has become essential to me as my condition is  both complex highly unlikely to improve  . I cannot express how much it means to me
I was both physically and mentally unable to do anything about it at the time

I feel I am in a situation that I can do nothing about it for the fear of loosing the points for care ending up back to where I first started

I try to forget what has happened and try to to focus on making the most of  what I have but it still pains me. It has took 18 months  to be able to be able to express myself  in any meaningful way , I get pockets of time where I have to try to achieve as much as I can but its not often.

I feel almost like I am being Blackmailed

SimonH

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @SimonH and a warm welcome to the community. I am very glad you've found us, though sad to read of what you have been through.
    It's PIP related, of course, so it is sad but unsurprising - you'll find a great many members here who have had similar experiences.
    We have experienced and expert members here who will be able to respond better to your post, as I have no expertise at all with benefits, and they will be along in due course.
    You might like to have a look at the 'Talk about PIP/DLA' forum in the meanwhile, which is here https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/talk-about-pip-dla or check out the list of chat forums here: https//community.scope.org.uk/categories. Or you're welcome to talk to me about anything :)
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard

• SimonH
    Hello Richard , I was not sure if I had posted correctly  I cannot see it in new posts .   I struggle a bit with online stuff  
    Thanks for the info and advice , I absolutely drained with the effort of committing anything to writing  its took me hours 
    It does help not to feel alone and offers a degree of comfort . I'll try to check out whats going on here and follow the posts 

Thanks again
    Simon
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SimonH

You're very welcome, Simon. You would probably find your post under 'Welcomes and introductions), the first  link under 'all recent discussions'. Clearly it got through, since I saw it :smile: and I'm glad that we're now in touch.

You're not alone, Simon.

This is something worth remembering that I often post in 'welcomes' "You have found a safe place here and are among friends, so please don't be shy of telling us about yourself or of asking any questions. The better we get to know each other, the easier we may find ways to be of use to you."

We're here, and we will do our best.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • Richard1960
    Richard1960 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hello Simon I heard before i got my own pip accessment about the dishonesty of the interviewers but thought that they were exaggerated my own accessment they lied about me to said things that I didn't and made up some answers to my own case I asked for a reconsideration I asked cab to assist me and I got it
  • SimonH
    Hi Richard

I have read thru some of the claims of  assessors dishonesty and to be truthful some  claims do appear exaggerated  it only takes a few to discredit everyone . This is making it easy for the DWP and ATOS etc to refute all claims , its really not helping 

I have sent an EMail to to MP who made a post on this subject on this site with a link to my post . I'm hoping she gets the message I'm trying to convey 

I got this from the link you provided thanks for that

It would be interesting to get an insight on her views 

Kindest Regards

Simon 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Simon - did you appeal?
  • SimonH
    Hi Matilda

Yes
    I got as far as the Mandatory  Reconsideration  stage .    the DWP overturned the ATOS report  My Care Component went from not qualifying at all  to getting the High Rate  but they would not give me High rate mobility  I was stuck at 10 points just short  .   I did not know what to do after that as the appeal was partly successful I was going thru a bad patch at that time and could not focus on taking it any further  and as best I can remember there was no clear information on what my rights were  . I found the whole experience really disturbing and stressful

Kindest Regards and Best Wishes
    Simon

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.