Relationships — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Relationships

Options
matty67
matty67 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
I find it hard to get a relationship .i have epilepsy which is not nice it make you feel worthless and you find it hard to have a relationship as people stay away from you and call you a freak

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @matty67 and welcome to the community. You've posted in welcomes and introductions, but I'm responding to this one so that I can say a little more than hello :smile:
    I am curious as to why epilepsy makes you feel worthless? It is not as if it is your fault you have it, or as if it affects only 'bad' people. I'd like to understand your feelings on this, because it suggests low self-esteem and I know from experience that low self-esteem can have serious 'carry on' effects into things like relationships.
    So tell me more, Matty, if you can. I am very glad to meet you.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @matty67

I am so sorry to hear that you have had bad experiences, but remember that not everyone thinks like this.

Have you tried attending local groups or trying a new class? Meeting people who have similar interests to you is always a good start.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • sdoc94
    sdoc94 Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Options
    I know arthritis is completely different to epilepsy. However, I was once in a relationship (a short one I might add) where the girl got fed up with my condition and that there were days I could not go out walking or go and do things. Now I might not have been overly bothered as the relationship was an absolute mistake from start to finish - but being told that the reason for a relationship ending was a condition that you didn't ask for still affects you from time to time.

On a brighter note - I am now with the greatest girl I could ask for who loves everything about me and accepts my condition. I knew her before I was diagnosed, she was there for me when I could not walk, was the first person I spoke to after my hip replacement and has been with me for years now.

They're not all bad - you'll find someone, it is worth the wait!
    Shady.
  • matty67
    matty67 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Options
    Well your conition can be cured my friend by the simple  taking of garlic crushed and puraid with a touch of oilve oil this taken once a day in time will help you breath far better than you did before and lurning to control your stress mode with light breathing to relax with in far will be better for you ..
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your tip @matty67- it's great that you've found something that works for you!

Please do be mindful that different methods and alternative approaches work differently for everybody so if you or anybody else reading this has concerns about your condition, do consult a GP or a medical professional involved in your care before making any changes to your medication or condition management.

Brightness