PIP assessment done — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment done

spire2003
spire2003 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
Yay it’s done !! Wife’s pip assessment done this afternoon. It was a nurse that did it & she had worked on a stroke ward so was well aware of the difficulties my wife may have. When I asked about her report she commented that there should be nothing to worry about. I also said when should we ask for a copy from dwp & she suggested waiting for the decision letter. She also said the letter would have things from her report on it. Does the letter tell you where you have picked up points ? My wife suffers from incontinence & had to stop the assessment & go to the loo. When we came back assessor said it was 35 metres to toilet but she had said she was putting wife could walk 20 metres as she could see it was a struggle.

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @spire2003 I bet you're relieved that's over but what the assessor said about waiting till you get the decision letter before asking for a copy of your report isn't true. It's nothing to do with the assessment company it's DWP that send them out and they can do that if you ring to ask for it anytime from a few days after the assessment when they get it through from the assessor. They're telling people that so you don't see it before your decision which gives you less time to use it if you need to do a Mandatory Reconsideration. The report is more or less what your Decision will be as the Decision Makers have no medical knowledge so, unless there is something obvious that they pick up on when making the decision they mostly just use what the assessor has said. I have a young friend who had an assessment and he spent the week after his assessment ringing for the report and as soon as DWP had it they sent it to him. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    I would second wildlifes advice to ask for a copy of the report asap. The report (PA4) will show you how the assessor scored points and any areas that you may want to challenge. Once you have the report there may be a small window of opportunity, before the decision is made, to clarify points with the DM if need be

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @spire2003

And I endorse what the other two have said about asking DWP now for the assessor's report which should arrive prior to the decision letter.  The report, as the others have said, should give you a good indication of what your wife's award is likely to be.
  • spire2003
    spire2003 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Ok. Thanks all.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Don't ever wait for the award letter, wait 14 days then telephone the DWP and ask for a copy of your acessment report which should arrive within 14 days. Once you are in receipt of it you can see the point awarded and what award you should get from the decision maker. But if you are not happy with the report you will have several weeks to look into and start to prepare for an appeal should the award letter is not what you expected.
  • Henry
    Henry Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
    wildlife said:
    @spire2003 I bet you're relieved that's over but what the assessor said about waiting till you get the decision letter before asking for a copy of your report isn't true. It's nothing to do with the assessment company it's DWP that send them out and they can do that if you ring to ask for it anytime from a few days after the assessment when they get it through from the assessor. They're telling people that so you don't see it before your decision which gives you less time to use it if you need to do a Mandatory Reconsideration. The report is more or less what your Decision will be as the Decision Makers have no medical knowledge so, unless there is something obvious that they pick up on when making the decision they mostly just use what the assessor has said. I have a young friend who had an assessment and he spent the week after his assessment ringing for the report and as soon as DWP had it they sent it to him. 

• sdoc94
    sdoc94 Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Hi,

For anyone reading this from Northern Ireland - I have been told over and over by the DfC/DWP that we cannot request copies of our report until a decision has been made.

Thanks
    Shady.
  • Henry
    Sdoc94.
    They  have told  me the same. There  must  be legislation  in place to quote  to them  in law. 
  • sdoc94
    @Henry

Have you been waiting long since your assessment? This is day 13 for me.
    Shady.
  • Henry
    Sdoc14.   8 days....  Personally.  I am  not  going to  stress my self  out . My  back  and  wait. 
  • sdoc94
    Do you mind me asking what area you are in?
    Shady.
  • Henry

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.