re benefit advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

re benefit advice

howelisa
howelisa Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I currently work 16 hrs per week and receive working tax credit but Im going to have to reduce my hours to 13 or less due to my disability and how Im coping and wondered what benefits I would be able to claim ? I already get housing and council tax benefits and have done a benefits calculation which says I could get income support if I was too reduce my hours ? is this correct as I do not want to give up work completely thanks

Comments

• Sue52
    Sue52 Community member Posts: 78 Courageous
    Hi @howelisa

hope you are well today. I can say just from my personal experience what help I get.. There will be a qualified advisor soon to help you, so please don't take my situation for gospel that it will be the same as you. However, I receive PIP, I work 16 hours a week and also receive WTC with a disability element. Have you applied for Pip?, because if you receive this (again my personal experience ) it opens up other access to help you. Also you can get PIP wether you work or not . 
    Wishing u al the best 
    Sue 
  • sdoc94
    sdoc94 Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
  • Sue52
    Sue52 Community member Posts: 78 Courageous
    That I said what I don't know is how to attach links
  • Tricia1912
    Tricia1912 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    I have been getting DLA lowest rate for some years now for a shoulder problem. I’ve been retired for 14 years l lost my job. Im 66 now and have bad mobility problems after two hip replacements one hip revision which was last year,it’s not been successful leaving me less mobility than before. I can’t walk far before lm in really bad pain. I’m now having serious pain with my left knee which may have to be replaced lve had my toes straightened and fused all because of arthritis. My husband does lots for me as he’s semi retired. helping me dress shower housework cooking etc. Can l claim for extra help.? But from who. 
     I read about all these people and problems they have do l have any chance. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Tricia

As you are still on DLA, you will be invited to apply for PIP at some time in the future
    If you claim for a change of circumstance you will likely have to apply now and go through the assessment and f2f
    This will be your only opportunity to claim any kind of mobility element and what you  accept at this time cannot be increased in the future

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Tricia1912
    Is PIP just for people under retirement age.? Attendance allowance is that for people over 65 lm not quite sure what all these benefits mean. Only really heard of AA before l got my pension l was on long term incapacity. I think it’s more for the help l need. Can you explain the differences.  
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
  • CockneyRebel
    H Tricia

PIP can only be applied for up to the age of 65.
    However, if you have a PIP or DLA award when you reach retirement, as long as you meet the criteria you will still receive the award.
    If you are in receipt of DLA  when you pass retirement age you might be invited to claim PIP. This will supercede your DLA. AT that time you will be able to claim both daily living and mobility elements. The mobility element that you accept will not be increased in the future.

After 65, if you do not have DLA/PIP in place the only benefit you can claim is AA which does not have a mobility element

CR
  • Tricia1912
    Thank you ,if  lm not invited to go onto pip do l just apply for AA and get onto DLA about the lack of my mobility. I’m frightened of rocking the boat. When is DLA stopping. 
  • CockneyRebel
    Tricia

Forget about AA.
    As you are on DLA this will continue until you are be invited to claim PIP
    If I may suggest, take some time to find out about the points system, descriptors and criteria for a PIP award
    A good starting place is the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

CR

• Tricia1912
    Hi CockneyRebel. Since l first went onto DLA some years ago my circumstances have changed and l now have mobility problems. So lm confused as to who l get in touch with. Sorry to be a pain.  
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi Tricia

You are not a pain, I am happy to help if I can.
    As you are still on DLA then you should put in a change of circumstance to DLA.
    This may or may not trigger your invitation to PIP.
    You could ring PIP and elect to start the PIP process

CR
  • howelisa
    Hi Im still waiting for  benefits advice regarding my post about whether I could claim income support if I reduced my working hours from 16 hrs down to 13 hrs due to my disability ? As currently get working tax credit due to working 16 hrs and PIP but need to reduce my hours and wondered what other help I could get , also get housing and council tax benefit. thanks
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi howelisa

Sorry, the advisors are extremely busy at the moment
    Here is the link to income support
    https://www.gov.uk/income-support

Have you put your details into  one of the online benefit calculators ?

If your employer reduced your hours then I think it would be straight forward. It might be less so if you do so as it could be conceived that you have done so in order to claim benefit
    Sorry this is not a definative answer

CR 

• howelisa
    ok thanks I would still like advice from the benefit advisor so will they just answer when they are less busy ?
    :)
  • CockneyRebel
    Yes, hopefully someone will tag an advisor for you

CR
  • Tricia1912
    Hi CockneyRebel  do you think l will be opening a can of worms. Can they take my current DLA Off me even though it’s for a different injury l get the lowest care rate. After hearing all these stories it really bothers me but l feel my circumstances have changed. 
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi Tricia

At some stage they will ask you to apply for PIP. Any review can remove your current award even DLA.
    We do generally see the bad side on the forum but not all claims are like these.

Of course the decision is yours but if you need more assisstance now then you should apply for it

Think carefully and look at the PIP points system, descriptors and the  criteria for an award as it is different to DLA

Do the B&W self test but be hard on yourself with scoring. You need 8 point for standard award and 12 for enhanced. There are two sections one for daily living and one for mobility so effectively there are two benefits to be had. When you add up the points only the highest in each descriptor is counted.

Please let me know how you get on

CR.
  • Tricia1912
    CockneyRebel thanks for your advice it’s been very informative. I will let you know.  Thanks. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @howelisa

You could only claim IS if you meet one of the qualifying criteria e.g. if you are a Carer, or sole parent of a child under 5, and even then only if you are not in a UC full service area.

If you don't meet the criteria for IS, the options will be ESA, JSA or UC. And with ESA you would have a battle persuading them that you had 'limited capability for work' if you do actually do some work.

Also on 13 hours your income may exceed the applicable amount for income based benefits (normally 73.10/week, although may be more depending on what your PIP award is and who lives in your home).

On a more positive note, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support will increase (if currently reduced by income) if your other income goes down.

Overall though the 16 hours does tend to be optimum in this scenario, so you are likely to suffer a financial hit.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.