DLA to PIP benefit reduced, will they want you to pay that back? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP benefit reduced, will they want you to pay that back?

whistles
whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
I have read posts where people get back pay if the PIP is increased/ successful from the date of the claim.
But what if it reduces?
I got the letter saying when my DLA would stop and to apply for PIP. They said they would continue to pay until a decision has been made, it now has.
I have been dropped off care, so it would make sense for me to pay back what I wasn't entitled to.
I'm not anxious or anything I'm just thinking it makes sense to pay back to the date of the claim? 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Comments

• lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    No you should not have to pay it back.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    any award continues in payment until a new decision is made or the award end date is reached. So no repayment is required

are you challenging the decision ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • duckett123
    duckett123 Community member Posts: 81 Courageous
    you are either not botherd about your money or you shouldn't have been getting it in first place if you want to pay money back, you should ask for MR then appeal if you loose that then go to court most people would do theses thing first before giving up
  • whistles
    Eh excuse me? 
  • duckett123
    duckett123 Community member Posts: 81 Courageous
    don't give up always 
  • whistles
    Perhaps I am being over sensitive, but how can you tell a complete stranger they don't deserve something.  I'm not most people. 
    I haven't got my assessment paperwort, so I haven't seen what the assessor felt. When I have read it then I might go for the MR, but, only if I can cope with the extra stress.  

Asking if they would want back what they consider I am not eligible for, is a simple enough question. 

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi all,

We want the community to be a safe and supportive place. Please make sure your messages respect other users’ views and suggestions, even if you don’t agree with them. Take care to present your views tactfully and remember that humour may be misinterpreted.

Best of luck @whistles, I really hope you get the outcome you're hoping for. If you do go down the MR route, do let us know and we'll be happy to offer guidance on this. 
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    You won't have to pay it back. The criteria for both benefits is different. You were awarded DLA because at the time of being assessed, you met the criteria and were awarded the appropriate rates.

When you transferred to PIP, the criteria changed a lot and many found they were entitled to a different amount. 

You'd only have to pay the money back if your claim was fraudulent. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.