Pip guidelines and welfare law - dwpexamination.org — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip guidelines and welfare law - dwpexamination.org

Options
charlene
charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
have just been reading about assessor asking people about how many mins can you walk. The post stated it was a wrong line of questioning and does not adhere to Pip guidelines and Welfare law, it was also stated that this line of questioning would not stand up in a court of law. 
When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's interesting, @charlene.

My PIP assessor asked for how long could I walk, and I thought well I suppose I could walk 3 or 4 mins, stopping and starting, before I needed quite a long rest, so I just said 3 or 4 mins.  Assessor put 3 or 4 mins in her report but didn't say that this implied any particular distance and DWP just repeated what assessor had said.  This would indicate that both knew this was an inappropriate line of questioning as neither made too much of it.  I was awarded standard mobility.

Tribunal doctor picked up on assessor asking for how long could I walk and repeatedly asked the same question.  But I was having none of it and asked him back did he mean how long would it take me to walk 20m?  Anyway, the outcome was that I was awarded enhanced both components.

• charlene
    Options
    Hello Matilda, it is so wrong the are doing these things to disabled  people. I did ring up Atos and DWP not knowing it was wrong to do this,but angry and upset that they did., and verbally complained. They said they would put my complaint on my records so don't know if they did. If I am down graded I will use this statement in my MR and tribunal if I have to go there.

• Matilda
    Options
    @charlene

Well done for looking up the guidelines!  As you say, if people lose points based on the length of time they can walk alone then this would be grounds for appeal.

Good luck with your MR.
  • charlene
    Options
    So sorry to rant, but I just feel that is deceitful, dishonest, and despicable, for assessors to do this.  
  • Matilda
    Options
    That's just of assessors' dirty tricks, Charlene, unfortunately!  Some assessors tell blatant lies; they just make it up.  No wonder 65% of appeals succeed - because so many assessments are 'flawed'.
  • Billy15
    Billy15 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Options
    @charlene how long did you give the tribunal doctor for walking 20 metrs

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.