Appeals — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appeals

sarah170
sarah170 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My Son who received DLA since the age of 5 has had his application for PIP refused saying he doesn't qualify for pip. I have done an on line assessment and he does. He has a degenerative muscle condition. 
I did appeal but was turned down. I was advised to make a fresh claim. Which he did. Now he has received a letter from pip. Saying that he can appeal for  the higher appeal.
I am not sure what he should do. 
Any advice would be appreciated .

Thanks 
Sarah170

Comments

• Neil06
    Neil06 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    @sarah170 you have upto 13 month after their decision to appeal but you must explain why it's taken you so long to make the appeal. Can you explain when he had his assessment and did you request a mandatory reconsideration?
  • sarah170
    sarah170 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Hi thanks for your reply. 
    Yes I have already done a mandatory appeal. 
    This was refused. Hence making a fresh claim. He has now received a letter authorising an upper appeal. Just don't know what to do next for the best. 

Sarah 
  • Neil06
    Neil06 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    @sarah170 don't do a fresh claim you need to take it to tribunal on the mandatory reconsideration notice letter they sent you back turning you down their should been two the letters the same in that letter on the last page it tells you where to go to down load your tribunal forum you need a SSCS1 forum fill that it explain why you want take it to a tribunal send in one the copies of the mandatory reconsideration notice that they sent you two of all the evedince and copies of the DWP decision makes letter and copies the assessor report as well a copie of what you was appealing against hope this helps you.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Sarah and welcome

To start a tribunal appeal all you need is the SSCS1 with basic reason for your appeal and a copy of the MR notice.
    Once the appeal is accepted you will receive a bundle of all the evidence that the DWP used to make their decision.
    You should check that all your evidence is present and then use this bundle to prepare and submit your case

As always it is a good idea to get help from CAB or similar

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.