How can I prove my disability? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I prove my disability?

Options
cornwallclive
cornwallclive Community member Posts: 3 Listener

I have 3 crushed vertebrae which prevents me from standing for long periods.

I'm not looking for Benefits just want to prove my disability. How can I do this?

Comments

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A copy of your xrays, a consultants letter confirming the diagnosis.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome to the community, @cornwallclive!

You might be interested in an Access Card - the benefits of the card vary from place to place, so it would be worth checking beforehand if it's accepted for any activities you're interested in.  You can also try using medical letters as whistles suggested.

I hope this helps!

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community, @cornwallclive!

You might be interested in an Access Card - the benefits of the card vary from place to place, so it would be worth checking beforehand if it's accepted for any activities you're interested in.  You can also try using medical letters as whistles suggested.

I hope this helps!

Many thanks for this. 
    Will look into this for myself. What a great idea.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    This has come up a few times. It seems that the Access Card and similar variations aren't accepted at many places.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi cornwallclive and welcome

Forgive my curiousity but why do you want to prove that you have a disability ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • cornwallclive
    Options

For potential employers, people I meet and know who ask why don't you work anymore but also to save queuing at gigs especially Edinburgh.

They were brilliant last year but I feel the need to show something to prove I'm not a chancer or fraud

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cornwallclive
    Options
    That's the point I don't qualify for any benefits, I just want something to produce to prove I am disabled.
  • Nystagmite
    Options
    Victoriad said:

Now getting past the queues at gigs.......Well? That’s a totally different ballgame all together!

Because some of can't comfortably stand?
  • margaretdenning
    margaretdenning Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited March 2018
    Options
    APPLY FOR A BLUE BADGE EVEN IF YOU DONT DRIVE IT WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS AND CAN BE USED BY YOU IN ANY CAR YOU GET A LIFT IN GOOD LUCK

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nystagmite
    Options
    Victoriad said:
    Hello @Nystagmite  
    If a disabled person can’t comfortably stand why not use some of the wheelchairs available at venues for such situations?

Because I don't need a wheelchair? Plus it wouldn't solve the issues of crowds and the pushing, like we experienced last year.
  • GeoffBosworth195661
    GeoffBosworth195661 Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @Nystagmite, firstly anyone who his in a wheelchair by law at any venue they are put at the side at the front. With crash barriers aback of you. That is the health and safety of it.  This also applies at football matches which a place for all wheelchairs are put in one area safe. If you are at any venue where accident could happen due to not providing a safe place so no harm comes to you they are breaking the law. You must state when ordering tickets you are a wheelchair user and they then should provide you with that wheelchair area.

Brightness