Work and ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work and ESA

molyneux65
molyneux65 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Can you do any work if your on esa and dla and still under treatment and investigation at the hospital 

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @molyneux65 and welcome to the community. Good to have you with us.
    I am only here to say hello, this afternoon, and don't have specific answers to your question, but we have others here who know their stuff and who will get back to you as soon as they can. Bear with us.
    It is important for you to know that this is a safe place and that you are among friends here. Don't hesitate to talk to us, to ask us questions or to tell us anything about yourself. The better we get to know you and how you feel, the more easily we may find ways to help you.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi molyneux and welcome

Under certain circumstances you can do permitted work

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/eligibility

DLA is a non means tested benefit and many people work and claim DLA/PIP

However, be aware that any work you carry out must not conflict with the reasons for your claims

For example, if you are claiming for mobility then taking a job as a postman would not be a good idea

CR 

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @molyneux Pleased to meet you.  Welcome.  I see you have been give advice good. and excellent.

The big issue is that if you wish to work and think it will help you gain you respect and come back into the fold.  Get your self esteem and confidence .  Make yourself whole again go for it.

My problem I wanted to do this especially volunteering.  I thought slowly.  One criteria report to Job centre.  Did that and it all changed.  Next assessment.  Put on form for ESA volunteering just being honest.

Got told you do volunteering yes just this and that.  Naïve never again.  Signing on again.  Never again no Volunteering.  It is up to you.  Had this dream once give me a chance long a go.

Got loads of qualifications and experience.  No body wants to know.  Especially if you do those placements and still claiming benefits.  Back lash from staff who you work with.  Scared, frightening, intimidation all the rest of emotions and abuse I could take.

Will get employment and get back into work.  Forget it.  Now on ESA in the support group.

I just keep my head down and so grateful to take a day at a time.

Take care

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi molyneaux65

As CockneyRebel says you can do permitted work in ESA - there is a good guide about this on the Disability Rights UK site here.

Generally DLA is not affected by work unless it is evidence of you no longer meeting the disability criteria.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.