Council Tax Reduction (CTR) scheme end — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council Tax Reduction (CTR) scheme end

Quackkers3
Quackkers3 Community member Posts: 12 Courageous
My local council's CTR scheme has been ended. They did a consultation where I gave my opinion opposing the scheme, and I also saw my MP who said he was going to try squash it. He must have been successful as got a letter saying will have to pay, don't know how much yet though. This on top of the SMI debacle is causing me a lot of stress. I know council tax is a priority debt, but what do I do if I can't afford it? I've just had my PIP daily living and mobility increased, but I need to raise £5,000 and then pay out all my mobility component for a wheelchair I need. Every time my mortgage rate goes up by 0.25% the payment goes up around £3 a month, and they keep saying it's going to go up again. I'm dreading my winter and gas bill cos I know I used 2-3 times what I did last year because it's been so cold since October, and I've been unwell for all but 2 weeks since then. I am scared that I'm not going to be able to afford the bill. For me the priority is getting the wheelchair so I can get out of the house, but I don't think they will see it like that. Any advice please?

Comments

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.