After six years of my child receiving Disability Allowance it has been stopped. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

After six years of my child receiving Disability Allowance it has been stopped.

mariewitch66
mariewitch66 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My son has been receiving middle rate care allowance and lower mobility, his conditions have not changed and I have been refused. I sent at least 15 medical letters from several paediatricians, none of which were referred to. I am now at the appeal stage, I am so disgusted at the terms they used in the letter to quote "it is common for boys to need prompting to deal with personal hygiene " my son suffers from a rare bowel condition and this is just rude. It also quoted "dress appropriately" my son suffers from severe dyspraxia and hyper mobility. The final part was "eat healthily" My son has had severe allergies and has been wheat, gluten dairy, egg, soya and fish free. How do I complain? They even had another child's name in the letter so unprofessional and judgemental. I am a single parent and feel like getting a solicitor to get the appeal correct.

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @mariewitch66

Are you waiting for an appeal hearing date?

You can make a complaint to the assessment company, which would be separate to the appeal.  Look on their website for details of their complaints procedure.

This site on Facebook might be of some help:

esa/dla/pipadviceandsupportukonly

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mariewitch66
    We have a video here about preparing for your appeal hearing that might help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIHjSpNNbQo
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • mariewitch66
    mariewitch66 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you for your advice, I’ve kept those comments separate and are not in the appeal.  I’ve had help setting out the appeal and have backed up everything I have said. I understand that as children get older they need less help but in his case he needs the same care as before. He does have rare conditions which are very difficult so like most children his age he cannot be left alone. I agree that as children get older they should need less care. But not always. Yes mandatory reconsideration has been done but none of it was used in the reply. He has been on middle or lower rate and the reply used higher rate as a reply.  I explained all the reasons he needs help and how long for. He can walk but slowly for a short amount of time. I have a letter which states significant movement difficulty with both gross and fine motor co ordination their reply was that he does not get overwhelmed outdoors. Nothing to do with mobility. Then said use walking aids. The reply contradicted itself throughout. Will get an appointment With CAB. Thanks again.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.