Question about PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question about PIP

Options
Charliex8
Charliex8 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello everyone...Only just joined here so I hope I'm doing this right...I have a question about PIP and was wondering if anyone could help?

I recently tried applying for PIP again as I am unable to work due to severe social anxiety and depression. To be honest I wasn't expecting anything because I've heard how hard it is to get. As I expected I didn't receive enough points, however I believe they got my conditions completely wrong. I can't talk to anyone apart from five family members and also can't leave the house on my own. But according to them I can communicate "unaided". I can also engage with others and leave the house with "prompting" so I decided to ask them to look again. 

I can't talk on the phone (even though I can apparently communicate "unaided"!) but they refuse to talk to my mum without my verbal permission despite writing on all my forms that I give permission for my mum to speak for me, so I wrote a letter explaining what I thought was wrong.         
My question is should I expect a letter to confirm they have my received my letter? I sent it a month ago. I know they have a long waiting time but I'm worried they did not receive it and will then say the month has passed so they won't look at it...I'm not sure how to find out without phoning. 

Comments

• mosy
    mosy Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options
    Hi please go to Cab and take all your paperwork .They will help you out and try and sort it out for you Wish you all the best
     PS we are in the same situation as you we have been waiting for ours for 15 months we now at long last have our appeal date this week .My husband had a eye stroke and has Alzheimer's and vascular dementia .Good luck but please call can tomorrow x
  • mosy
    mosy Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options
    Sorry I meant Cab x
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do you have medical evidence from cpn or psychiatrist supporting that? 
    Did you have your f2f at home? 
    Is your mum your appointee, not sure if that would help or not? 

They refused to pay my travel as I couldn't fill in the firm. Wouldn't accept carer filling it in as she wasn't in their file.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • maid08
    maid08 Community member Posts: 307 Pioneering
    edited March 2018
    Options
    it seems if you can face someone and talk you have no prob communicating  mine was i enjoy seeing my son so fail??????????? i pointed out in a mr that to ignor my own child would be a disgrace and only affect him in life ???refused so ?no sense in the question on the form and do not tell them u use internet that is a big no b no it means you communicate with no prob although you have to apply on line for most benifits first 

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Charliex8, reading your concerns it looks as if the descriptors for the other daily living activities you are capable of doing it the cummuncating in person or phone that to strangers is your down fall if this is your only problem then I doubt if you will get PIP, have you done a self test? Try the works and benefits site and do a self test be honest or your build up false hope. When you have done self test the result will let you know if you should proceed with a claim for pip and what your award might be. Good luck.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Charliex8,
    i got 0 points like yourself for communication, I can’t talk properly or at all especially if I’m anxious.
    that was at my f2f, went to Appeal and received 4 points, the difference between standard and enhanced award.
    I emailed the DWP , as really struggle on the phone, regarding my appeal and they emailed me back saying they cannot go into detail via email but they had received the decision letter and to wait on a letter.

I hope that helps

Susan
  • Charliex8
    Charliex8 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    @mosy - 15 months! Wow! I really feel for you...Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if my Mum will have time to take me though...I'll ask and see what she thinks :)

@whistles - I did send them a letter from a psychiatrist that detailed my problems. My mum took me to the f2f but I never said a word and ended up crying a lot. I'm not sure if my mum is my appointee...I filled the form in myself but she arranges all the appointments and stuff...

@maid08 - So I guess that only being able to talk to 5 people in the whole world means I can communicate just fine...your right! It makes no sense!

@wilko - I've already tried the self test and as far as I can see I should be able to claim for the highest amount on both sections...Like I said though, I wasn't actually expecting any so I'm not too upset. I just wanted to try again because I disagree so much in those areas. 

@susan48 - They have an e-mail address? I couldn't find anything...Thank you! That helps a lot. I'm glad your appeal worked out for you :)    
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    So not speaking at a f2f is can speak unaided. 
    Perhaps you need to be completely medically mute to get points then? 

Either pip isn't working, or it is working and the previous DLA actually didn't.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • maid08
    maid08 Community member Posts: 307 Pioneering
    Options
    i supose in their view you fail anyway as the acesser is face to face with you even if you stare at the floor
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Charliex8,
    DCPUALTERNATIVE.FORMATTEAM@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
    that is the email address I had a reply from.
    hope that helps or the department might be able to help with the correct email address 

Susan

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.