Having to stay in bed for Assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Having to stay in bed for Assessment?

butterflies
butterflies Community member Posts: 29 Courageous
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but has anyone had to stay in bed during their home assessment?  Or were you asked to move to the living room?  It's just that I have read so many awful stories about Assessors it's got me  a bit panicky!  :#

I have DLA HRM/LRC(same rate since 2007 but then made Indefinite award since 2011)
Condition has worsened since 2011.  I started the PIP process because of the major problems with doing even the smallest tasks and now being 100% housebound and 95% bed bound for past 2years.

I have recently managed to put in place help 5days a week(with the help of the Scheme Manager where I live) which I pay for and takes up most of my DLA award. 
It has taken me years to do this for many reasons mainly that I was just getting through each day best I could.  Also not knowing how to get help.  No support from family.  I have had a cleaner though for about 5years.

Anyway things have moved at a fast pace this past couple of months since I sent off PIP application and I am trying to get used to the new routine of having carers coming in once a day for an hour to prepare food for me and help with other tasks.

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read this  :)

When Life Gives You Lemons Make Lemonade

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi butterflies and welcome

I am sorrry that you are in this position

Yes you can stay in bed for your assessment, it is up to you which room you are seen in. The assesssor has no right to ask your to move or to look around your home.. You should not alter your daily routine for your assessment.
    You will need to make arrangements for someone to be with you to open the door etc, if you are bed bound.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • butterflies
    Hi @CockneyRebel

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I really appreciate it.
    It gives me reassurance to know that I am doing the right thing in not changing any of my routine.

I got the letter for Home Assessment appt 2days before appointment!(dated 13days before it arrived)!
    I was already suffering with stomach bug so I had to ring and cancel and they arranged it for 5days later.
    Over the next 24hours they then cancelled and rearranged the appointment twice!!!
     Which meant me ringing round the people who are going to help me on the day with answering the door etc...first asking them to come then  cancelling again.  
    I am sure they thought I had gone mad!! Talk about stressful?!

Anyway it's set for end of next week... if it's not cancelled again.
    It's a morning appointment so it's going to be an even bigger challenge.

Thanks again for your reply  :)

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck with it, please let us know how you get on

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope your assessment goes ok and not too stressful for you.
    i do hope also they don’t cancel again, think I would be making a complaint if they do as you have to arrange so much for the assessment.
    Susan
  • butterflies
    @CockneyRebel - thank you I will definitely let you know how I get on with the assessment.

Thank you @susan48 I have made some notes(well a bit of a diary really) already about their cancellations just in case anything else crops up.  I need to do this because my memory is bad anyway.

I was told that I could only change the appointment once yet they can mess poorly people around as many times as they want and think nothing of it. 

• Blossom223
    Blossom223 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hello,
    I stayed in bed for my assessment as this is my daily life, and that is what they are asking about. (In my experience) they will ask you if you can stand and squat or lean over. If this is something you can’t do or will cause you great discomfort, say no! Other wise they will use it against you. The same goes for any other physical tests they ask of you, if it is too difficult just say no rather than suffering. You are perfectly within your rights to do so. This all includes with a carers help FYI. And this sounds really terrible but try not to be too well put together appearance wise, and don’t be too friendly to the assessor. It truly sounds terrible to say but I did a lot of research prior to my assessment, and these sort of things really can mean the difference between pip or no pip! It has changed a lot and become a lot harsher/nastier since DLA. Good luck with your assessment I hope it all goes well ☺️
  • maid08
    maid08 Community member Posts: 307 Pioneering
    if you are asked to do tasks ask if this is a medical as you thought it was acess to benifit  re afects on you thru illness

• butterflies
    Hi @Blossom223
    Thank you for taking the time to answer and your valuable advice.
    I am so glad I asked the question now because people are being so helpful with their advice.

Hi @maid08
    Thank you for your valuable advice.
    It is really appreciated.

:) 

• butterflies
    Hello Everyone
    It's been a while since I have posted but just wanted to give you an update on PIP application.
    I had to stay in bed form assessment as like @Blossom223 said "it's my daily life"
    Assessor called it a "functional Assessment".  Took less than half an hour!
    Anyway I asked for a copy of the report and even though she had shaved off as many points as she could I still scored high and was awarded enhanced PIP for both till 2022.
    I now pay for more help 5  days a week for someone to make meals, personal care and all household chores.
    It's taken some getting used to having people in everyday and I have found it really exhausting trying to sort this out over the past few months but there lots more positives and I definitely do not feel as isolated and alone, which is a big improvement.

I also just wanted to say thank you to everyone especially @Blossom223 who gave me great advice about the Assessment.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m glad you got the award you deserve and also can now get the help and care you need 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.