Standard points system — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Standard points system

whistles
whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I wonder after reading some of the posts on here and other sites that the assessors have a list of conditions and a points guide to stay within? 
The person should look like this
The person should be able to do this
Yes we accept if you can't do this
You can do this to help yourself

I know it's meant to be how it effects you as an individual with the descriptors, but my report said I could reduce my risk by doing xyz. I note that ohers with the same condition have also voiced the same wording or they have similar points. My 4 to their 6 for example.
Looks a bit textbook to me? 

I was asked which one of my conditions effected me more. I got the points on that one and the other was thrown out as not existing at all, no evidence of paperwork or f2f. 

From cab website- 
"The health professional will consider whether your health condition or disability limits your ability to carry out the activities and how much help you need with them" 
They must have a guide to tell them how much it is likely to effect you. 
Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    As you well know PIP is all about ability to care for yourself in daily living. As CR tells people do a self test on the benefits and work site and if you are honest with your self the self test will let you know if you should proceed with a claim for PIP. Good luck.
  • lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    I have been totally honest with my illlnesses i feel  completely let down. I also feel like Atos and the DWP  Are calling me a liar, thety have no knowledge of your illnesses just pure ignorance. 
  • whistles
    I did the self test on various days. I came back 6,7 and 8 for care. So under the requirements. 
    It just seems strange to me that three people with my condition have been given 0 or 2 for cooking and advised the exact same thing in how to limit the risk. 

• whistles
    edited March 2018
    A basic meal to some is Pasta with sauce on it. 
    The trouble you have is proving that's what happens. I got told I had nothing wrong with my memory because I knew where I went to school, but I got muddled with the actual memory test we did. 

I wouldn't want to be an assessor though that's for sure.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I read somewhere that a basic meal should include veggies, potatoes, and a piece of meat (although for vegetarians/vegans, we'd have to substitute for the meat). It's supposed to be a simple meal from fresh ingredients. Pasta and sauce from a jar aren't fresh ingredients!
  • charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    I found the whole episode of my assessment strange.  I have had a number of assessments and the HP accepted that I couldn't stand for long, couldn't"t cut veg etc.   Needed to use a microwave.  This time however all this was ignored and the assessor ticked d, in preparing food. Need prompting to either prepare or cook food!
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Waylay said:
    I read somewhere that a basic meal should include veggies, potatoes, and a piece of meat (although for vegetarians/vegans, we'd have to substitute for the meat). It's supposed to be a simple meal from fresh ingredients. Pasta and sauce from a jar aren't fresh ingredients!
    This is what I was told too - it's the same as the lower rate DLA / the cooking test. 

It was written on my form that I can't make a cup of tea unaided because I can't see how much water is in the cup. But somehow, I can make a simple meal using aids. There are no aids that help. The aid that tells when to stop putting your liquid in your cup is too loud for me.

I can't even do pasta and sauce from a jar properly; so goodness knows why they think I can cook a meal aided.
  • charlene
    The more I read about people's assessments the more confused I get.  It definitely seems to be open to the assessors interpretation.  

With mine, I am left wondering if it was veered of down the mental health line, would it not be easier at the next assessment , for the assessor to say my condition has approved.
  • whistles
    I think it is totally interpretation. I have insight so can keep myself safe. 
    It asks about getting dressed it doesn't ask if you need help to get out of the bed to start that task. 
    I did say there are days I cannot actually get out of bed but it wasn't often enough to mean I couldn't get dressed. 
    Dla took that on board both ends of the day, you obviously have trouble getting in the dam thing!
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    At my f2f I was asked about cooking a basic meal. Told her I have soup, microwaved or toast. As Iv had turned gas on and not lit it, set fire to a towel as forgot to turn lit gas hob off etc etc.
    in my report obviously soup or toast is classed as a basic meal !
    and I didn’t look undernourished .

• charlene
    On reading my assessment paper, she ignored like u 2 fires in kitchen etc. But amazed me by ticking that I need prompting (2 points). 
  • susan48
    I really don’t think they listen Charlene.
    they have a serious and important job assessing people but how can they do that it they DONT listen.

• Waylay
    Very much agreed. I think mine made up his mind as soon as he saw me sitting on the floor in the waiting room. Getting down and up is painful and difficult, but far better than sitting in a straight-laced straight-backed chair for 25 minutes with a back spasm!
  • whistles
    susan48 said:
     I didn’t look undernourished .

Ditto mine said that.
    I can't cook. I live on processed stuff that can be toasted, microwaved or eaten raw. 
    I never said I have an eating disorder. 
    I wonder how many people's reports say the same things, that's my point with the thread. You look fed you can eat 0 points.
  • Waylay
    Yup. I apparently looked "well-nourished", despite having lost over 3.5kg in the 1.5 months leading up to the assessment. And that's *with* my partner coming over and making me eat 3x per week. 
  • susan48
    I too have lost nearly 1 stone and , still losing,  but was asked at my appeal if I had lost weight.
    weight loss due to not eating correctly and most importantly the anxiety of the whole PIP assessment, appeal process.
    im sure we all would love to cook a Sunday roast unsupervised and eat and enjoy it.
    Good question whistles, I do wonder that too, I’m sure it’s a high percentage of assessments 

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    They claimed I don't look undernourished either. My medication causes weight gain...

Cereal apparently counts as a meal as well. And so does pizza. We'll just ignore the fact that I can't even cook things like burgers because I can't tell if I've cooked them properly. (I burn them just to make sure)
  • whistles
    To the next generation I guess convenience food is the norm.
    I must confess I thought the forms expecting me to cook using fresh ingredients outdated.  :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • whistles
    Tuna and cheese on toast. Making me hungry this morning.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.